Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-20-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Brutus Beefcake

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Sit down interview with Vince. A recap of the sailing accident, parents death, and divorce......man poor Brutus.

There are two reasons for Brutus being here: God and Da Hulkster. Brutus says they are his " Sword and Shield". Beefcake states that IRS and DiBiase can't handle the tag team of God+Hulk.

You know God is taking the fall for that team.

Vince really sells this as the comeback story of the year.

Vince's introduction is OUTSTANDING, explaining Beefcake losing his mother to cancer, his father to a heart attack and then being divorced. Beefcake credits "the big man upstairs" and Hogan for helping him out during tough times. I think this had to have aired a week earlier than stated, since he is hyping the upcoming match on Raw, although the syndication schedule was sometimes off, so that could be the case too.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't know if all this stuff (aside from the obvious parasailing incident) is true. I can only say that at the time, when I saw Beefcake reciting it on Raw, it reeked of phoniness and a desperation sympathy plea. Could have been Beefcake's delivery, could have been the WWF environment and their general handling of "big" issues. Vince's recitation is much, much better. Hogan is put on the same plane as the Big Man Upstairs--no shock there. If anything it's a promotion for the Lord from being the "#1 Hulkamaniac." Our timeline is a bit off as we're hyping the match for Monday night--Vince does another great job of hyping up Money Inc. as total bastards. It's great to see some heat finally put on DiBiase again--he spent most of 1992 in purgatory despite holding the tag titles most of the year. I did think Beefcake was legitimately insane for attempting this comeback, and was genuinely fearful that he'd get hurt again.

Even as a formerly Little, now Adolescent Hulkster, I found myself strangely unexcited by the prospects of a 1993 return.

• 1 year later...

Vince explains Brutus's mom died of cancer, his father from a heart attack, and then then he was served with divorce papers before finally reaching the parasailing accident. The 2 reasons he got through this were the big man upstairs and the Hulkster. Classic campy. Setting up Brutus vs. Dibiase at Raw. Vince tells him to go for it. Makes sure to mention Hulk will be at Raw. I guess this was actually from before the match we saw.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's hard to fault Beefcake for any of this; he's never been much of a promo, and the idea of a cartoon character like The Barber suddenly having to deal with the real-life issues that Ed Leslie did simply doesn't work well in the WWF universe. Vince tries his best, putting his own geeky character aside and doing a tremendous sell job, but Beefcake talking about God and Hogan together sours the whole thing. It's a wrestling interview, Brutus; God will forgive you if you put him aside and talk about your friend the wrestler.

I'm trying to think of another heel who could have been the facilitator for this story, but I can't find one. Teddy's already known as evil, he's had major issues with Hogan in the past, and he has backup in Rotundo and The Colonel. It's a perfect setup. (Don't forget, Jimmy's had a past history with both Hogan and Beefcake as well.) I don't think Rotundo could have fit into the slot quite as well, unless you care to think back to 1985 when he and Barry Windham feuded with Beefcake and Greg Valentine over the tag titles, and eight years is a long time to remember, even for some diehard fans.

• 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-02-20-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Brutus Beefcake