Pro Wrestling Only

• 4 weeks later...

Oh boy, Jesse Ventura says Cornette now may be eligible to serve in the military thanks to the President. My other thing I've always noticed is that while Schiavone was often very vanilla, he got genuinely excited about most of the old Crockett guys. Most of these sequences I've already seen verbatim on other Rock & Rolls/Bodies matches on this set, but it works, and it's fun to watch every time, and the WCW crowd seems happy to see these guys again. I LOVE the criss-cross sequence where Morton tricks Stan Lane into criss-crossing then chases Cornette into the ring, where Cornette bumps off of Stan Lane. This is another match that holds up really well. Really nice false finishes, and Pritchard and Lane bust out a lot of great offense I wouldn't expect from them. The Rock & Rolls win when Eaton tries to interfere and accidentally hits Pritchard when coming off the top instead of Morton. Terrific match.

• 1 month later...

Oh boy, Jesse Ventura says Cornette now may be eligible to serve in the military thanks to the President. My other thing I've always noticed is that while Schiavone was often very vanilla, he got genuinely excited about most of the old Crockett guys. Most of these sequences I've already seen verbatim on other Rock & Rolls/Bodies matches on this set, but it works, and it's fun to watch every time, and the WCW crowd seems happy to see these guys again. I LOVE the criss-cross sequence where Morton tricks Stan Lane into criss-crossing then chases Cornette into the ring, where Cornette bumps off of Stan Lane. This is another match that holds up really well. Really nice false finishes, and Pritchard and Lane bust out a lot of great offense I wouldn't expect from them. The Rock & Rolls win when Eaton tries to interfere and accidentally hits Pritchard when coming off the top instead of Morton. Terrific match.

In 2001 Scott Hudson would bring up the Rock & Roll Express during matches to get Tony excited.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Magnificent match by four absolute pros. I have watched their Survivor Series in front of a totally perplexed Boston crowd, which I liked a lot, but this one was a lot more fun in front of a lot more appreciative audience. The early part stuff is always treat. I do not remember seeing the criss-cross spot where Corny ends up colliding with Lane and I thought that was hilarious. It also led to the transition spot where Corny was able to get that racket shot on Morton. I think where this match was missing Eaton the most obviously was on offense. Morton had good exchanged with both Lane & Pritchard, but Lane & Pritchard seemed a little off. There seem to be some confusion on the double suplex spot and double chicken wing spot. Overall, still a very enjoyable heat segment. The finish was great and I totally bought into the bulldog finish for the Bodies after the Double Dropkick did not get a count. RNRs regain control and Eaton makes his way down and comes off the top only to nail Pritchard. Was that finish supposed to set up a longer term angle of Eaton & Partner vs The Heavenly Bodies. That could have been something. Killer match that hits on the spots you would expect out of RnRs vs MX/Bodies

Almost forgot 10 million stars for the Heavenly Bodies coming out to "Rock Candy" by Montrose.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Schiavone is positively frothing at the mouth getting to call a Rock 'n Rolls match again. Another beautiful match, with more great counters and classic southern tags spots in front of a very appreciative audience. The ending picks up with a brilliant sequence where Gibson counters a Bodies double-team, he and Morton try to double-clothesline Prichard who ducks so they nail Lane, Prichard is gloating and pointing to his head, and turns around into the double dropkick. And that's not even the finish, as we get another hot sequence immediately after involving Cornette. This is another standout performance by Lane, who may honestly be at his peak as a worker here, mere months before his retirement. He simply wasn't this consistent in 1990. Great tag and this whole storyline, whatever the plans were, should have continued. These guys fit right into where WCW was at the time.

• 1 year later...

Fun, familiar RNR vs. Bodies/Midnights. They hit a lot of great tag spots that they've probably done a million times, but nice to see them get to do it once again on a national stage in front of a hot crowd. Loved Lane getting mixed up running the ropes and colliding with Cornette. Ventura suggests Pritchard is a doctor in gynecology, which seems pretty risque for the time period. We get the Gibson hot tag, double dropkick and a save before Eaton's interference backfires for the finish.

***1/2

• 1 month later...

A treat to watch here. This felt like the best possible touring style match for these guys and that is not an insult in the slightest. They highlighted all of their strengths and had a bevy of unique spots to sprinkle into a tried and true formula. Even the RNR getting the win at the end felt like a great feel-good victory moment. ***1/2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

This was an excellent match, but it loses points for bad play-by-play.

Before I get to that, though, did WWE have royalty issues with Gary Cappetta? This match was taken from 24/7 (or Classics on Demand, if you prefer), and they have that awful generic announcer introducing the match, although you can plainly see Gary in the ring. I'll have to check out the other two matches we have from this card and see if Gary's intros are used on them. (If they are, the chances are that the match was taken from the original broadcast.)

Okay, now on to Tony. He started off well, waxing nostalgic about Ricky and Robert's JCP days, and even talking about the concert Ricky gave in Asheville back in '86. which I for one would love to hear sometime. But about halfway through the bout, he got his gimmicks confused somehow or other and flashed back to the York Foundation, referring to Morton as "Richard" for the rest of the match. Good grief, man, there hasn't been so much as a hint of the Yorks in WCW for almost a year and a half, and this is Rock 'n' Roll's triumphant return home. How could you keep letting this happen? Once is okay, but Jesse should have called him out on it after the second time and made him explain himself. Maybe that would have reminded him not to do it again. To make matters worse, there was a Prichard in the match, so more than one person at a pay-per-view party probably wondered how in the world Tony got blond, mulleted Ricky Morton mixed up with stringy-haired brunette Dr. Tom Prichard.

Of course, there was the usual snippiness with Jesse, which actually came out on the air this time. I can't figure out how in the hell these two can't work together all of a sudden, because their appearances in the WWF on pay-per-view were very good. Could it have been that Tony was mad about being passed over for Bischoff to run the company (or at least its television), and since he couldn't go back to the WWF (who was about to hire JR), he was sulking because he had to take orders from the man who'd beaten him out? Even if that's true, why sandbag Jesse? Why accuse him of sulking and being unprofessional, which makes his credibility as a color guy zero? To Jesse's credit, he didn't get mad, responding to Tony's accusations about not letting him call the match with a simple "Okay, call it."

I would have dismissed all this as part of the act had Tony not tried to pull the same thing with Heenan later on, and had I not read about his dissatisfaction about losing the executive producer's job to Bischoff. As I said in another thread, Tony's not nearly a good enough actor to pull off a prudish persona to react to Jesse the way Vince did. This was a horrible performance, and I can see why both Jesse and Heenan eventually stopped giving a damn about working with him; even though their reputations took a bit of a hit, they knew their places in history were secure, so why knock themselves out, especially if their partner was having a perpetual snit fit and the product was crap?

Yes, there was a match going on while all the booth drama was playing out, and as I said, it was excellent. There seemed to be a lot of three and four-man spots, more than are seen in most tag matches, but these guys all knew each other so well by now that they were a treat to watch and not a distraction. We saw a lot of Corny too, but at least part of the fun of this feud is seeing Rock 'n' Roll finally get the chance to beat Corny's brains out after years of frustration, so that was fine too, especially Stan's crisscross where he smashes into Corny like a ten-ton truck. Tony: "He looks a little punch drunk." No, really? Let's see how you'd look after you got smashed into by a two hundred and forty pound wrestler, smartsky.

It looks like we might be having some dissension among the Bodies after that finish, as I know there's a dustup coming that ends up in at least one singles match between Eaton and Prichard in SMW. I'm not sure who Bobby would have gotten to team with him if they'd gone through with the breakup, and it's probably a good thing they didn't, as the Bodies had a lot of life left in them as a unit, even though Stan left and was replaced by Jimmy Del Rey.

This isn't just because of Tony's performance, but I wonder if they shouldn't have asked Bob Caudle to call this match. He was a former WCW announcer, the match was taking place in North Carolina so it wouldn't have affected his work with Senator Helms, and he could have explained the SMW history of these teams a lot more than Tony could have or did. This is just a hunch, but I think he and Jesse would have meshed well, at least for one bout.

I forgot to mention that Jesse seemed a lot more conversant with these two teams in this bout than he was in the eight-man from Worldwide, which had been taped twelve days earlier. Some of his jokes were the same (like the gynecology joke about Dr. Tom, which Tony wisely ignored) but the feeling of "What the hell am I watching?" that I got from Jesse in that bout was gone. Thank heaven, because both Tony and Jesse being off their games would have been too much for me to take,

This was an excellent match, but it loses points for bad play-by-play.

Before I get to that, though, did WWE have royalty issues with Gary Cappetta? This match was taken from 24/7 (or Classics on Demand, if you prefer), and they have that awful generic announcer introducing the match, although you can plainly see Gary in the ring. I'll have to check out the other two matches we have from this card and see if Gary's intros are used on them. (If they are, the chances are that the match was taken from the original broadcast.)

When GMC is edited out it's usually (always?) because of the underlying music.

• 1 month later...

Magnificent match by four absolute pros. I have watched their Survivor Series in front of a totally perplexed Boston crowd, which I liked a lot, but this one was a lot more fun in front of a lot more appreciative audience. The early part stuff is always treat. I do not remember seeing the criss-cross spot where Corny ends up colliding with Lane and I thought that was hilarious. It also led to the transition spot where Corny was able to get that racket shot on Morton. I think where this match was missing Eaton the most obviously was on offense. Morton had good exchanged with both Lane & Pritchard, but Lane & Pritchard seemed a little off. There seem to be some confusion on the double suplex spot and double chicken wing spot. Overall, still a very enjoyable heat segment. The finish was great and I totally bought into the bulldog finish for the Bodies after the Double Dropkick did not get a count. RNRs regain control and Eaton makes his way down and comes off the top only to nail Pritchard. Was that finish supposed to set up a longer term angle of Eaton & Partner vs The Heavenly Bodies. That could have been something. Killer match that hits on the spots you would expect out of RnRs vs MX/BodiesAlmost forgot 10 million stars for the Heavenly Bodies coming out to "Rock Candy" by Montrose.

Honestly, didn't remember ever seeing this match. I was excited to see this for a first time then came to find out I had seen this before. This is Chicken Soup for the Wrestling Fan's Soul. The shine here is so classic and fun lots of heel miscommunication and collisions. Great transition with my main Sweet Stan getting a knee to the back and Morton ending up on the outside eating racket. Great MX-style heat segment with lots of cool moves and great selling by Ricky. I thought the finish was fine (but not as great as last time watching apparently). Liked double drop kick and Corny worked overtime with bumps. Finish stuff just didn't seem perfectly timed for maximum effect. Super fun installment in the RNRs vs MX/Bodies feud. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-21-WCW-Superbrawl III] Rock & Roll Express vs Heavenly Bodies