Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-27-USWA-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert / Eddie Gilbert vs Brian Christopher

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Eddie Gilbert does a fantastic promo talking about what it was like growing up with Doug as a brother before the match.

Brian Christopher's face is all bandaged up, but I'm not sure why. This was turning into a nice match until Doug runs in for the DQ and attacks Eddie. Jeff Jarrett comes up to finally even the sides and we get a nice studio brawl.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Gilbert manages to be funny, entertaining and poignant all at the same time. Oh, and he sells us on a match, too. One of the most outstanding promos on any Yearbook, definitely the best to have "I'm Too Sexy" as the backing theme for the end of it.

Classic Memphis heeling shtick in the studio match to follow, the kind that can only take place in the WMC studio. That turns into some pretty decent action. Gilbert is about to get the pin after the Hotshot, but Doug Gilbert (in his Dark Patriot tights) breaks the count. Christopher beats on Eddie in the ropes while Doug gloats on the mic, until Jeff Jarrett evens the odds and Eddie and Doug have a cool, intense fight at the desk.

Two great segments bookend a solid TV match. One of the best USWA clips of the year so far.

• 1 year later...

Eddie with a promo talking about wrestling Doug. He paints Doug as an idiot, says he's finally going to take him apart. Christopher then out with Prentice. Lots of stalling / stooging and comedy with Christopher eating punches. Doug interferes for DQ. Jarrett out to save. Eddie's fun but USWA really doesn't do much for me at this point and that won't change over the next year.

• 1 month later...

This is Memphis wrestling.

Eddie gives a great promo that really went through a spectrum of emotions. He said more here with more meaning and range in five minutes than almost anyone on tv today. Then "I'm Too Sexy" fires up and Prentice struts to ringside in a great moment too. Gilbert and Christopher jaw jack each other popping the crowd. Action is good but rudimentary while it lasts before we get a nice brawl with Jarrett and Doug Gilbert involved. I loved all facets of this. *1/2

• 1 year later...

The match itself wasn't much at all; there was more action in the brawl afterward, particularly between Eddie and Doug. That feud's definitely off to a hot start; let's see how it progresses.

Eddie's promo was excellent; he even had the audience laughing along with him, which seldom happens even in a studio setting. Then he turns serious on a dime, vowing to kick Doug's butt in the way that only a big brother can. Eddie's done better mic work as a heel, but this may be his best face promo yet. He's certainly at his most relatable here.

I loved the exchange between Brian and Eddie where Brian challenges him to take on the champion (himself) and Eddie's reply is along the lines of, "I'll be glad to. Where is he?" Stuff like that only works in the studio setting, but it's a hoot to hear regardless.

Interesting that Dave wouldn't directly acknowledge that Lawler had burned Brian the previous Monday at the MSC. I'm guessing that someone (either Dave or, most likely. Lawler himself) decided to bury the injury as much as possible so that Lawler wouldn't look like a monster for burning his own son's face, even in a pro wrestling context.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-27-USWA-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert / Eddie Gilbert vs Brian Christopher