Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-02-27-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Ric Flair

Loss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This was just tremendous. Flair telling all the champions that the champ is back is great stuff. The Flair for the Gold line was gold. I know it wasn't the original plan, but it really is cool that He got his belt back at Starcade in December.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't know how long the Secret Service gimmick lasted with Flair, but I always found it hilarious and appropriate. Yes, there's no question that Flair's return eclipsed Hogan's, in terms of artistic quality and in terms of fan response.

In the end, I'm really glad Flair did get a WWF run. We've all gone over how it could have been done better, but it also could have been done a whole lot worse. He fulfilled, to some degree, the dreams of every '80s wrestling fan, and he got to face new opponents in a new setting, to put on some tremendous matches, and to return home as fresh and revitalized as he'd been in years. Artistically, it ended up being like one of those sports trades that improved both teams.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Flair's back where he's always at his best. I didn't realize how much I'd missed JCP/WCW Flair until I saw him on the podium with Tony.

Nice to see that he acknowledged his WWF run, which most of the people in the audience had probably followed anyway.

I didn't need Missy Hyatt anywhere near this, especially as a groupie. When are they going to admit that they've used her horribly (not that she could ever be used well by anyone except Eddie Gilbert) and cut their losses?

It made sense for Flair to call out Windham and Vader, but Dustin and the US belt seem a step below him. Then again, a Flair/Dustin feud may have been interesting due to the past history between Flair and Dusty, who would almost certainly have been involved somehow.

Either 2/13 or 2/20 was JR's last Saturday night show, because JR was the one stuck between Corny and Watts on 2/6, as we saw earlier.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-02-27-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Ric Flair