Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-03-06-USWA-TV] Music Video: Randy Savage / Randy Savage and Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

The Savage video is tremendous and was obviously produced by the WWF and sent in. At the conclusion of the video, Savage walks into the Memphis studio. Savage makes the logical leap that because he previously held the WWF title, their match at Mid South Coliseum is a unification match. He accuses Lawler of talking behind his back and asks Lawler to come out. Savage asks why Lawler is speechless and Lawler says it's his Slim Jim breath! The two go back and forth and Savage rambles about who knows what, but that's part of the appeal. This is every bit as great as you'd think it is.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I remember years ago when I first read about this angle thinking "How did the fans buy this when they'd see Lawler on RAW acting totally different?" but after I watched Memphis over the years and seeing this angle in particular it kind of makes sense. I mean, Lawler's USWA character is basically just a less cartoon-y version of his WWF character. He's not a pandering babyface by any means. He often borders on cocky heel territory anyways.

Savage was great here, too. I'm sure the WWF didn't want him to go there and just be an out-and-out heel but he toed the line a few times like when he screamed at Maclin to write his name down and the names of everyone who laughed at him about the Slim Jim crack.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Another 1992 video repeat, this one for a new audience. And here he is back in the studio! I DON'T KNOW YOU (points to Macklin) BUT I DO KNOW YOU (points to Brown) AND I KNOW MYSELF! BLACK MONDAY IN THE MID-SOUTH COLISEUM! I wonder if they acknowledged that Savage lost a LLT match all those years ago, like they did with Jimmy Hart. Savage heels himself up very quickly in a fun promo. Lawler comes out to rebut and the two different personalities just bouncing off of each other makes this great. One of the best USWA segments of the year.

• 1 year later...

Clips of Savage in the ring and at various media appearances set to pomp & circumstance. Then he comes out to the WMC studios. Setting up a match vs. Lawler at MSC. He calls out Lawler, and its striking how much work he's had done when you see him here even 20 years ago. Lawler finds his stride at the end saying how Savage is one in a long list of names who've come to take his unified title.

• 1 month later...

Ditto all the comments here as this was totally captivating and made USWA feel like they were about to have the biggest match in the world. Savage in his outfit and Lawler wearing his crown having a verbal debate is pro wrestling. One of my favorite USWA segments of the entire 1990's.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. Randy was tremendous, and you can tell that's he thrilled to be working meaningful matches again. But there were no nods to either the historical or present relationship between him and Lawler. If Randy hadn't acknowledged that he knew who Dave was, it would have been easy to forget that he'd ever worked Memphis at all, let alone been one of its biggest stars and Lawler's toughest and most hated opponents.

I could have choked that down with some difficulty; after all, eight years is a long time in the business, and Savage has a much bigger reputation and a lot more to brag about since he left Memphis, so mentioning that he'd been just another pretender to Lawler's throne might have been counterproductive. But they're appearing together every week right now on Superstars, which I assume can be seen in the Memphis market somewhere. One of them should have brought up how being made to work together made their skin crawl, that every time he sat next to the other guy, he wanted to punch him in the face right in front of the world, because he knew that until they met in the ring, the issue of who the better wrestler was would never be settled. It doesn't matter which one gave the speech; the point is, it should have been given. Each of them is capable of it, and it would have added some context to a feud that as of now has none, at least not officially. Instead, we get par-for-the-course Lawler insults about Randy's Slim Jim breath. Bleech.

Dave didn't bat an eyelash when Randy grabbed his tie; remember, he's been around when Randy's done a lot worse on an almost-weekly basis.

One good thing about this round of the feud is that apparently Sherri will return at some point to be in Randy's corner. Huzzah, the Royal Couple reunited! I can't help but wonder, though, what the Memphis crowds would have made of Liz, or if like a lot of the WWF guys who came down to Memphis, she would have changed her personality slightly in order to fit in. If you'll recall, she was originally supposed to be a cold-hearted scheming type who could handle herself on the mic, as she did in some of Savage's first confrontations with Hogan. It was only later that she became the precious flower of womanhood we all remember so well.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-03-06-USWA-TV] Music Video: Randy Savage / Randy Savage and Jerry Lawler
  • 5 months later...

I agree, this is one of the best USWA segments of the 90's.  Just to think... this is way better than anything going on in the WWF at this time.  Savage should have been the guy there, and this feud could have crossed promotions.  Both of these guys are so good.  It would have been pretty neat for the King to have gotten his WM match at 9 vs. Savage.  I bet they could have had one for the ages there.  Great segment with the two BITW on the stick at this point (IMO).