Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-03-27-SMW-TV] Dirty White Boy vignette

Loss

• 1 month later...

Ron Wright has sent Tony Anthony to train for the upcoming chain match against Tracy Smothers in New York City (the woods, actually). He takes a sack of flour, then a melon, and starts hitting them both with a chain. Then he pulls out a pineapple, because he hears Smothers likes his women a little bushy (Um ...)

• 3 months later...

Yeah, White Boy smashing a pineapple in half with a chain because he hears Smothers likes his women bushy was incredible and would've been the best thing I watched last night if not for the AMAZING Dutch/Sullivan insanity. White Boy pulling out a gun and referring to it as the "peacemaker" was pretty shocking as well.

• 2 weeks later...

DWB finally getting a chance in a promotion on the stick is awesome. It's also cool to reflect back to Foley's book when Corny was pimping DWB to Cactus as a great talker as early as 89ish. He really was an underated promo guy. I'm excited about checking out his 92 feud with Embry.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Anthony claims to be training in Central Park ‘right in the middle of New York City’, when he is in fact out in the woods somewhere! Ron Wright has sent him to train hard with the chain and make him proud because Wright never lost a chain match in his career and he doesn’t plan on being the man to bring shame upon the chain. Anthony destroys a bag of flour (that reminds him of Tracey Smothers’ lily white guts) with the chain, before obliterating a melon (that reminds him of Smothers head), a pineapple (he’s heard Smothers likes his women thorny and a little bushy) and a beer bottle. He tells Smothers that this is what’s going to happen when he shows up for the chain match, he’s going to beat his skull out and stick his chain down his throat!

Good intensity from the Dirty White Boy here and great way of showing how dangerous the chain is and the damage that it can cause.

• 8 months later...

Wow, was this good. Tony's more than just the stereotypical bellowing Southern wrassler, and this may be his best promo to date. He's funny, menacing, hateful, scornful, and arrogant all at once, and he uses his props like a magician. We've seen props be used to illustrate potential damage before, but this might have been the best example of it yet. I especially liked the flour bag exploding when it got hit with the chain, and flour scattering all over the place to the point where each of Tony's chain shots for the rest of the promo raised a white cloud. Unbelievable.

Now I know why most babyfaces are supposed to be the strong, silent type who just want to get in the ring and wrestle. There's no way on earth that Tracy can top this promo, especially with his earnest Southern patriot routine. It's almost unfair to even ask him to try, and he's pretty good on the mic for the type of character he portrays.

Count me in with those who wonder how the references to Tracy liking his women thorny and bushy and being so full of booze that he can't wrestle properly made it to air. I have a little easier time with the gun stuff, since most people from that part of the country (or at least those Corny wanted to attract) are hunters and gun lovers.

I'm having a hard time figuring out the Central Park routine. It's obviously a delusion, but are we supposed to think that Tony's crazy enough to believe that he's actually in New York, or are we supposed to be insulted that Tony thinks we're stupid enough to actually believe that he's in New York?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-03-27-SMW-TV] Dirty White Boy vignette