Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-03-27-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Kevin Sullivan

Loss

• 1 month later...

Wow. They are in the dark, as Mantell says he is going to use his pre-med, pre-law and pre-psychiatry backgrounds to try to understand Kevin Sullivan. Sullivan's occupation is Master of the Wrestling Universe, and he is holding a flashlight to his face saying he is being followed. He then walks through all the gimmick matches in which he'll be facing Brian Lee on upcoming house shows, and makes them all sound pretty maniacal. Great stuff.

• 3 months later...

The bit where Dutch almost starts laughing when Sullivan says he's being followed by a brown van with Missouri license plates totally set me off. I must've laughed for three minutes straight.

I think it was Dylan that said SMW was a "promo" territory and so far there has definitely been a handful of really great promos.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The bit where Dutch almost starts laughing when Sullivan says he's being followed by a brown van with Missouri license plates totally set me off. I must've laughed for three minutes straight.

I wonder if that was an inside joke. Arn Andersin did a promo later in the same episode referencing a crazy stalker lady from St Louis that seemed to make Ricky Morton chuckle, so I wonder if they had problems with some chick who drive a brown van from St. Louis around this time.

• 1 year later...

That did feel like an inside joke to me too with Mantel’s reaction. Dutch has an impressive educational background. So the Prince of Darkness match is a blind fold match. Ah. Sullivan was entertaining in his crazy way. The setting was perfect with the lights down and Sullivan lying down in the ring.

• 4 months later...

This particular psychiatric evaluation will be performed by Dr. Dutch Mantell, in an empty dark arena with both men holding flashlights in front of their faces. The idea is a low-rent Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal: Brian Lee rolls a die, with each result corresponding to a different gimmick match. Clever stuff, with all the matches described by Sullivan, who ends it by describing the Lee's Choice stipulation by repeatedly screaming, "WHAT KIND OF CHOICE DOES HE HAVE?! WHAT KIND OF CHOICE DOES HE HAVE?!" Back-to-back examples of two guys used way better in Smoky Mountain than they ever were in the Big Two.

• 1 year later...

Dutch has a background in pre-law, pre-mid and pre-psychiatry, so he's going to dig a little with Sullivan. Sullivan calls him Doctor, identifies himself as Master of the Wrestling Universe. Lying down in the ring. Sullivan submitted a list of match stipulations for wrestling Brian Lee. Sounds like stips will be determined by rolling the dice. Typically good stuff from Sully.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

A special edition of Down & Dirty today and Dutch informs us that he has a pre-law background, a pre-med background and has some psychiatry courses behind him too! He thinks that if Smoky Mountain Wrestling are paying the bill for Kevin Sullivan's psychiatric treatment he may as well get in on the action. They're in a secluded place for this session (which is in fact the ring, where the only light is provided by a torch) with Dr Dutch, as Sullivan thinks that there are people following him. Sullivan says that Smoky Mountain Wrestling have tried to hinder him every step of the way, they've tried to block him and have people following him all the time. Dr Dutch tries to find out who these people are. Sullivan says that they are mindless, faceless people, he's probably seen them himself, they drive round in brown LTD's with a Missouri license plate. Dutch thinks he's seen them and that they could well be following him round too. Dutch runs down the types of match in the Russian Roulette death match and Sullivan comments on them all; Prince of Darkness, Stretcher, Handicap (Sullivan & The Nightstalker vs Brian Lee), Fire (includes clip of Mr Pogo vs Mitsuhiro Matsunaga from Japan), Singapore Spike and Brian Lee's choice. Sullivan says what kind of choice could he have facing him? He repeats 'what kind of choice' over and over maniacally as Dutch ends the session.

• 8 months later...

I had no idea that this interview actually took place in a ring until I read it just now. I thought that they were in some sort of passageway or cave.

This would have been pure comedy in the hands of some other promotions, but no matter how crazy Sully gets here, there's a menace about him that grounds him in reality. It's the same with Dutch; I wanted to laugh at this whole setup, especially since I know damn well that Dutch is full of crap concerning his academic background, but I just couldn't bring yourself to do it, even though some of the material (like the brown LTD stuff, apparently) is meant to be funny.

The "Dastardly Die of Destruction" (the thing deserves a name, so I gave it one) sounds a whole lot more menacing than Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal. It's a pretty safe bet that they didn't have any fire matches, though; some of the arenas and high school gyms SMW ran at the time would have gone up in flames in no time flat had there been an accident of some sort.

I forgot to mention this before, but the idea of SMW paying for Sully's therapy is truly inspired, if for no other reason than the only way for him to pay them back is to work in the territory, which is the last thing Bullet Bob wants. At this point, Corny may be the most inventive booker currently working in the United States, and the gap between him and the guy in second place (probably Pat Patterson) is pretty wide.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-03-27-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Kevin Sullivan