Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-03-27-SMW-TV] Interview: Arn Anderson & Rock & Roll Express

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Sullivan is basically immune from Bob Armstrong's fines, as his followers keep coming up with the money to cover for them. Brilliant. Armstrong segues into the 3-way, 9-man elimination Smoky Mountain Showdown at Bluegrass Brawl. Arn promises pain, and brings the Stud Stable into things. "The life you save, may be your own."

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Armstrong says that Smoky Mountain Wrestling needs a good house cleaning, he’s tried fining guys and even suspended Paul Orndorff indefinitely, but what these guys need is forced action. Brian Lee is going to get his shot at Kevin Sullivan, but in case he doesn’t get the job done, he’s got a line of guys a mile long ready to step in the ring with him. He fined him $5,000, but his followers came up with the money and whilst he hasn’t got to him yet, it’s not over. He says that this Friday it’s the great Smoky Mountain Showdown at the Bluegrass Brawl, three teams, nine men in the ring and only the strongest shall survive. Ricky Morton says that with the combination of Arn Anderson and the Rock & Roll Express, they don’t care what it takes because when it’s over this is the team that will be left in the ring. Arn says that for the last couple of weeks he’s had a strange cramping in his arm and his fingers have been cramping in the position of the Four Horseman. It means the symbol of excellence, it means if you want a collection of broken bones, you want to get hurt? You jump on the Horsemen. He has hurt Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson in his career and they’ve returned in kind many times, but in his stupidity and harping about Bobby Eaton he’s forgotten about the team of Dutch Mantel & the Stud Stable. Robert Fuller has been saying how he’s going to get his bad leg, but he thrives on pain, the more he gets hurt the more he likes it (maybe a girl from St Louis instilled that in him one night?), but he guarantees the six of them that someone will get hurt. No ring will contain it, anyone with children leave them at home, somebody is going to have to bow out and if you want to take a powder go ahead, because the life you save may be your own.

Another home run of an interview from Double A.

• 7 months later...

Am I the only one who though that when Arn did the Horsemen sign that he was teasing a possible Flair appearance as a cornerman at the Bluegrass Brawl? Oh, what a coup that would have been for Corny, even for one night!

Arn takes over the talking here as he has in the other promos we've seen lately, and he brings the Studs into things quite nicely. Ironically, by this time next year he would be a member of WCW's version of the Stud Stable, with Fuller as his manager.

Nice to see Bullet Bob taking care of business again. The Orndorff "suspension" was, of course, a cover for his defection to WCW.

This is from the previous week's promo, but I'll throw it in here: I loved Arn comparing Bobby to a windup doll whom Corny manipulates all over the place, mostly because that's the way almost all of the fans thought of him at this time. It's only been in the last few years that we've discovered just how special of a worker he really was.

Between Ricky's line about gelding a stud and Arn's reference to a certain young lady in St. Louis, I'm surprised that at least some stations chose to air this promo without bleeps. SMW is in the heart of the Bible Belt, after all.

I know that almost all of Arn's promos were included because they're so rare, but I'd have liked to have seen at least one answer promo each from the Bodies and the Studs in order to see for myself what they thought of Arn as Rock 'n' Roll's partner.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-03-27-SMW-TV] Interview: Arn Anderson & Rock & Roll Express