Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-03-29-WWF-Raw] Contract signing: Bret Hart & Yokozuna / Music Video: Bret Hart

Loss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bret takes a Banzai splash from Yoko. He struggles at first but is finally able to get to his feet in a dramatic way. Yoko wasn't able to keep him down for good. As someone who wrestled within the past year, you would think Sarge could have been more physical in breaking things up when Yoko went for the Banzai.

• 4 months later...

Not to keep harping on this but I don't like Bret wearing his ring gear to a contract signing (Yokozuna's different because real sumo wrestlers are in that kind of gear pretty much all the time). It's hard to explain but Hart getting pulverized while in a suit would have made this segment come off as much more chaotic, though it's a strong angle anyhow. They make a big deal about Bret standing up after taking the Banzai Drop.

I wonder how much the rights fees cost to use "Respect," if the WWF even bothered with that. Awesome little tie-ins to the lyrics--Bret kissing the belt when Aretha talks about kisses sweeter than honey, and then clotheslining Ted DiBiase while she sings "...so is my money."

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bret's video was nice, and I could see Vince using "Respect" as a theme for Bret if he still used outside music. It just seems to fit the character he was portraying at the time.

I liked the video clips a lot, and how they seemed to match the lyrics when possible. I was shocked to see Flair footage after he had gone back to WCW so recently, although I've always heard that he and Vince parted ways amicably.

Who was the black guy that Bret dropped a leg on in what looked like a dome? Logic says that it was probably Shango, but the guy looked a lot like Bad News Brown from what little I could see.

I hated the contract signing. First, Heenan was right; not waiting until the contract was signed to attack Bret could have been the biggest mistake of Yoko's life. He almost lost out on a guaranteed title match because he couldn't wait to beat Bret up and squash him. Where was Fuji, who should have tried to stop him at any and all costs? No wonder Meltzer consistently called him the worst manager of this era. Between allowing this attack and verbally agreeing to the match with Hogan at Mania on Yoko's behalf, he displayed the intelligence of the proverbial kernel of corn rolling down a storm drain.

Second, while Bret getting to his feet after being splashed might have showed guts and fortitude and all that other good stuff, it really made Yoko look weak, not to mention guys like Duggan. I realize that a full-blown stretcher job may not have been advisable so close to Mania, but at least have Bret helped out of the ring by Sarge, Garea, and the like. Now Yoko's win looks like a total fluke in retrospect, which may have been exactly what Vince wanted considering that Hogan was getting the belt back at Mania.

For once, a major angle plays out on Challenge. Maybe they were preparing the show to be more of a 1A show than a B show, since JR was coming in to host it after Mania.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-03-29-WWF-Raw] Contract signing: Bret Hart & Yokozuna / Music Video: Bret Hart