Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-10-WWF-Superstars] Update on WWF title

Loss

• 1 month later...

Mr. Fuji filed a formal complaint with Jack Tunney right after Wrestlemania, on the basis that there was no contract for the Hogan/Yokozuna match.

Jack Tunney ruled that there was an "oral contract" and a WWF referee was in the ring, Yokozuna issued the challenge and Hogan accepted, so therefore, the decision stands -- Hogan is champion.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Jarring setting for this Update--instead of Gene in the control room, it's Gorilla at a desk in front of the standard PPV interview set. Mr. Fuji and Yokozuna are with Gene on-site at WM9, where Fuji has filed a formal protest over the WWF title situation. That mess was one of a number of reasons why Fuji from a kayfabe standpoint was about the worst manager ever.

After much deliberation over Mr. Fuji's protest on behalf of Yokozuna, it is Tunney's decision that there was an oral contract. Hogan remains WWF Champion.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What does it say about Vince's confidence in Yoko as a potential champion that he was booked to lose the title in the way he was? I understand wanting to make Hogan champion, but couldn't they have done it at the next live Raw? A title match involving Hogan would certainly have gotten monster ratings.

I'll have more to say on this when I actually rewatch the whole Hogan/Bret/Yoko situation a little later. Stay tuned!

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-10-WWF-Superstars] Update on WWF title