Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-12-AJPW-Championship Carnival] Toshiaki Kawada vs Akira Taue

Loss

• 1 month later...

It's a shame these matches are clipped, because I'd love to see Kawada/Taue full-length during this time frame, since they were having great matches as early as '91. I guess this was at the tail end of their "feud" that had gone for a few years. Taue looks better against Kawada than against Misawa, probably because Taue is more familiar as a singles opponent. He sells wonderfully, and Kawada has some typically awesome footwork and arm submission stuff. They do a really nice build to the nodowa, as Taue attempts it multiple times, finally lands it, and the roof comes off the place when Kawada kicks out. The story here is that no matter what Kawada does to Taue, he just keeps hanging on until the draw. Wonderful match, as good as any singles matches they've had against each other, maybe better than many as well.

The handshake seems significant. Was this the first time they had showed respect like that?

The handshake seems significant. Was this the first time they had showed respect like that?

Baba had already asked Kawada to leave Misawa's group and "join hands" with Taue. In a sense, they were ending their feud with a hand shake, and mutual respect. At the time it struck me as the perfect finish to the feud for these two guys.

One of the points of the next series is how they get along as new team. No tease of the old feud, they get right down to business as teammates, climaxing with winning the titles then defending them against Misawa & Kobashi.

John

• 11 months later...

More good news from Samurai TV.

March's AJ Selection episode has 2 macthes from 4/12/93

Misawa vs. Kobashi

Kawada vs. Taue

I believe both matches were jip on the reg TV show

With a 60 min timeslot, there should be room to fit the complete 30 min draw and the 21 min match!

Dan Ginnetty

• 11 months later...

The 2nd half was shown, I don't know if the complete version showed up anywhere. Good stuff all the way as they were experienced opponants that matched up really well. Taue had entered his prime by this stage if not quite his peak. Well worked and paced although it did always feel like a draw.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Incredible match, just as good as their 1/15 brawl but of course totally different. This match is loaded and loaded with counterwrestling. But not WWE Main Event-style counters to create artificial drama--the story that's clearly pushed here is that these two know each other like a book by now and are seemingly ready for everything the other tries. Taue somersaulting out of the Fujiwara armbar attempt and booting Kawada in the shoulder blade was one of a number of gorgeous escapes here. And some terrific near-falls as you'd expect. When Kawada kicks out of the nodowa there's a beautiful camera shot of Kawada sitting up semi-bug-eyed, and you can almost see the thought bubble above his head asking, "Did I really kick out of that? Is this match still going?" Kawada hits a second power bomb but the bell rings, taking me by surprise. I had no idea the draw was coming, but of course with the story of the match there really is no other ending--there's nowhere else to go with this feud, at least until next year's Carnival. So the two shake hands, though they're not exactly acting like blood brothers yet.

(Interestingly the Observer initially reported that Kawada was going to strike out on his own upon splitting with Misawa--I don't know that was simply bad info or there was an active change in plans. I also STR there were still glimmers, at least in the WON, that Jumbo could become available someday.)

Best AJPW match of the year so far, and maybe Taue's best or second-best singles match to this point.

• 1 year later...

We jump to Kawada backdropping out of a powerbomb attempt. They trade chops and kicks until Taue catches him in a powerbomb for a near fall. Great struggle again over a powerbomb in this match. It was noted above the counters here were just so smooth and great. These guys are prepared for what the other brings to the table and have ideas about how to stop it. Hansen may have the western lariat, but Kawada's running lariat is awesome. Big pop for a Nodowa near fall. We get a double knockdown after lariats. Taue pulls out a top rope dropkick which is pretty damn cool. Great drama down the stretch with the PA announcing one minute left. They throw the kitchen sink at each other and connect, but we get a time limit draw. Looking forward to their next match in the Carnival. They shake hands afterwards en route to teaming.

****1/4

• 2 months later...

A beautiful match full of counters like PeteF said but done brilliantly. The action kept building and every nearfall felt significant but not excessive in the kickouts. I loved Kawada's footwork and he completely delivered some nasty kicks to taue as Taue tried to hang on. The finish was dramatic and I had forgotten this actually went to the draw as they had me locked in right into the bell. Not ranking until I see full version but this feels like a top 25 match of the year.

• 7 months later...

This really was tremendous. I really loved how frantic Kawada was getting as the time limit came close. It's particularly obvious when he does the back elbow off the ropes that he's wasting no time. The idea that they've gone at it for the 30 minutes and neither have come out on top therefor earning each other's respect is really put across brilliantly by their body language too.

Has the full version ever surfaced? I like this match a lot but am cautious about rating it too highly without seeing the whole thing.

• 9 months later...

This was the perfect wrapup to the rivalry and a hell of a way to kick off the new team. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" was never more apt. Not that these two didn't try like hell, of course, but they're each so tough and know each other so well that each move has a countermove. The moves that did hit in this one had a real sense of struggle attached. In this case, unlike most, a draw felt right and was quite satisfactory.

Based on what I saw here, I'm really looking forward to the new team, which should take AJPW by storm. I'm also looking forward to these two renewing their rivalry for many Carnivals to come.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-12-AJPW-Championship Carnival] Toshiaki Kawada vs Akira Taue
  • 1 year later...

Toshiaki Kawada vs Akira Taue - AJPW Champions Carnival 4/12/93

Definitely feels like they are going 30 minutes in the Handheld I have found. Mind you, the work is really solid, but they are clearly presenting a story of eveness and symmetry. They are also not going balls to the wall. Taue is definitely the more dynamic performer  (pun fully intended). He baits Kawada to the outside where he whips him into the railing. He dropkicks him off the apron, he does one of his crazy Taue dives. Kawada is more content to do his usual Kawada stuff. Bodyslam->Rifle Kick. Kneedrop, Single Leg Crab attempt, lots of back drops from Kawada as counters. I have seen their glorious 1991 brawl this is not that. This is much more respectful which pushes the angle of the Holy Demon Army forming at the end of this. Taue is still playing the heel in this taking control and getting heat. He is hotshotting Kawada, single leg crab. My favorite moment of the opening section is the NODOWA~! on the floor. Since it is NOT 1995, this is NOT a death sentence. I feel like the transitions are solid, but they do not grab me. Kawada just goes back to trying to kick him in the head. I have enjoyed this, but reading the reviews, it seems like business picks up in the second half. I am pretty sure I have seen the clipped version because I known I have seen The Handshake.  

Just as I hit play again, boy did business pick up in a big way! Super symmetrical. Very-well scouted. They kicked into 6th gear and really rocked it. I dont know if it was because it was a 30 minute draw or they knew ahead of time this would be JIP on TV they definitely took it easy in the first 15 minutes or so. Taue had the kicks scouted. Kawada had the throwdowns scouted. Taue hits a powerbomb and immediately goes for a rear naked choke when that does not get the job done. Next moves, Kawada gets a powerbomb and immediately goes for a rear naked choke when that does not get the job. It was like this throughout. Taue had a great block of the Fujiwara armbar as Kawada was taking him down Taue hit an Enziguiri why did Takada never do that. Nodowa, no dice, Kawada gets the Fujiwara armbar and then a stiff clothesline for two. After that Taue gets his NODOWA~! for two. They both hit clotheslines simultaneously to level the playing field. Again the symmetry through the end is outstanding. Taue goes for the Octopus Stretch and hits a missile dropkick. Kawada gets the Stretch Plum and hits Tenryu's top rope reverse elbow drop. Great symmetry! Taue Big Boot and one more NODOWA~! 1-2-NO! Lots of Taue fans in the crowd even though he is the heel. Now heres comes their transitions that couldnt hit before. Kawada hits the Spinning heel kick and goes for Stretch Plum. You could say Stretch Plum was equal to NODOWA at this point. Kawada does his jumping high kick. Kawada Kicks and Taue does his eyerake/head throwdown. Kawada hits one last powerbomb, but the bell rings before he can win. Draw! Strong reaction for The Holy Demon Handshake!

I like how it was symmetrical right up until then. Kawada got one more big bomb than Taue. He was also in the dominant position compared to Taue at the end. But still it was a draw. The idea was to make Kawada a first among equals. He is slightly better than Taue, is higher on the pecking order, and will be Misawa's archrival, but Taue is right behind it. It makes the Holy Demon Army the super team. They needed to band together in order to have a chance against Misawa. The draw finish also fuels The Handshake of Respect. Great angle and really well done finish stretch. ****