Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-17-WWF-Superstars] Owen Hart vs Bam Bam Bigelow

Loss

• 1 month later...

Really nice TV match. Owen gets in plenty of offense and is being put over fairly strong by Vince at the booth, so I think by this time, Owen was going to fit into long term plans on at least a minor level. Owen blows an attempt to jump to the middle rope toward the end of the match and does a great job covering for it, selling a knee injury. If they'd had more time, maybe Bigelow would have gone after it, but the match was about to end. This was toward the beginning of longer matches on Superstars, and a rare one that actually went through a commercial break around this time.

This was either the first appearance or one of the first appearances of Owen's "rocket" themed, Bret-inspired gear (blue singlet and long tights plus weird Sgt. Pepper jacket) and I always figured he was going to get a push based on that until he blew out his knee and came back with the gear his brothers used in the Survivor Series match. And then he got a big push anyway, but as a heel.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the best WWF syndie matches of the Yearbooks, maybe the best. Nothing that will change the world but an effective sprint with some cool offense and bumping. Shame about the ending--I'm about 99% sure that was a legitimate knee injury, or an exacerbation of an existing knee injury, and we got robbed of one last Owen comeback.

• 1 year later...

Totally random and fun tv match. Owen with a quick dropkick and then they trade enzuigiris as Bigelow moving really well here. Bigelow drops Owen on a crucifix attempt. Owen takes a nice bump on it and sells the knee afterwards. Bigelow falls on Owen for near fall when he tries for bodyslam. Owen comes back and eventually wins with the flying headbutt. Great use of limited time.

• 2 months later...

So did he legit blow out his knee or not? I thought it was Liger 94 J Cup covering of a botch. Anyway, this match was a ton of fun and a good break from the AJ heavy stuff we have had the last little bit on the set overall. Owen looked good on all of his high flying moves except the aforementioned one and Bam Bam provided a good base. Funny hearing the commentary here knowing what is going on in Memphis and also good to see the seeds planted for the Bret vs. King feud. **1/2

• 1 year later...

Owen looked good here, but not quite enough to beat a monster like Bam Bam. Still, he more than held his own, so you know we haven't seen the last of him. Conversely, Bammer did his job well, but if he'd been going anywhere fast he'd have looked a lot more dominant. His big opportunity in the WWF had come five and a half years earlier and fallen by the wayside because of his bad knees. Now he's a monster in a promotion who already has a bigger one (Yoko) as its top heel, with the further advantage of a ready-made program with Hogan. Bammer may have been better off homesteading in Japan, as he was similarly blocked in WCW by Vader.

I'm not sure whether Owen hurt his knee legit or not; it certainly seems plausible that he did, and that's all that matters here.

When the 1993 version of Vince McMahon is the best announcer in a given match, that match is in big trouble, Lawler won't give the faces any credit, and Savage won't give the heels any credit. Lawler's practically reading from an open joke book, and Savage goes back and forth between semi-English and speaking in tongues. Ugh and double ugh. Heenan probably didn't want to do two tapings in two days, but surely there's a better color guy out there than these two. Bring Curt back; he was just getting good when they pulled the plug on him in favor of Lawler. Hell, I'd rather hear Hillbilly Jim than Lawler and Savage at this point, and Hillbilly was only passable in 1990 with Gino and Lord Alfred on MSG house shows.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-17-WWF-Superstars] Owen Hart vs Bam Bam Bigelow