Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-24-USWA-TV] Jeff Jarrett vs Brian Christopher

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Billy Joe Travis is back once again, a babyface backing Jeff Jarrett. Christopher's punches and offense look pretty good. This is a nice studio match when Simply Divine--Rex King & Steve Doll in their full Well Dunn get-up--attack Jarrett and Travis. The USWA is officially beginning to look like WWF Developmental, with Simply Divine and Jarrett soon to be making their way up North.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Not a bad little match before the run-in. I continue to be impressed by Brian; he's probably the best full-time heel in Memphis at this point, and he's only going to het better with experience. He has his dad's routine down pat, plus he adds some technical ability that Jerry probably has but doesn't show much. He definitely outworked Jeff here, and I'm about ready for Jeff to turn heel, which I know is coming up later this year sometime. This guy needs to be freshened in the worst way.

I loved Dave's reaction to Brian's antics, particularly this:

Brian: Dave Brown, tell Jeff Jarrett that the fist is illegal!

Dave (in a "Give me a break!" tone of voice): Jeff, the fist is illegal.

That's the story of the match: Brian continually punching Jeff (and with some good shots, too) while complaining when Jeff punches him. Not the most original or compelling story in wrestling history, but it was enough to kill six minutes.

I'd like to see these guys get more time without having to worry about run-ins, because I think they're capable of a much better match than this one turned out to be.

Is anyone else curious what Brian and Kevin talk about during those complain-to-the-ref spots? I'd imagine something like this:

Kevin: Stop throwing fists, Brian, or I'll tell Dad on you.

Brian: Go ahead, I'll just get a head start on the butt-kickin' I'm gonna give him Monday night!

Kevin: You and what army?

Brian: You just wait a couple minutes and you'll see what army!

Kevin: Oh, yeah?

Brian: Yeah!

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-24-USWA-TV] Jeff Jarrett vs Brian Christopher