Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-04-30-CMLL] Ciclon Ramirez & Corazon de Leon & Oro vs Felino & Javier Cruz & Negro Casas

Loss

• 1 month later...

This match has some incredible rudos work. All three of them are awesome, so that's not really a surprise. Jericho is green, but charismatic, and it's fun to see Casas really not walk him through sequences, but elevate them where they're something better than they would be otherwise. Chris Jericho is SOOOO the Billy Kidman of EMLL in that he has some things he can do and is surrounded by talented guys who know how to spotlight that well. Oro and Ramirez are terrific too. Great match with everyone working hard and doing their best to make everyone else look as good as possible.

• 4 months later...

Good God does Casas rule the fucking world. This isn't as spectacular a performance as the Ultimo title match, but everything he does here made me smile. Ramirez's tope at the end of the first caida was insane, too. I recall loving his eventual mask match against Felino as well and their exchanges in this made me eager to re-watch it.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

This starts slow and I'm actually wondering if Casas is either phoning it in or babying Jericho through the opening, but Chris acquits himself well the rest of the match. He's no lucha matwork whiz but he keeps up his end during the big 6-man clusters and throws in some good dives. Felino delivers possibly the most energetic wrestling performance I have ever seen--even his pre-match stretching is practically a gymnastics routine, and he throws himself into every move and bump he takes. Even plunging to the floor when trying to hop to the top rope, which definitely looked intentional. He and Ramirez match up really well together. In addition to Jericho, and possibly Ciclon as well, this was our first Yearbook look at Oro--and I can't help but feel a little sad. For his experience level he had all the makings of a huge star. This was fun, with star-making performances from the Casas brothers.

• 1 year later...

Jericho has a big time "happy to be there" look on his face. Oro is noticeably quicker than everyone else and it really stands out. Awesome Santo-like dive by Cicolon Ramirez on Felino as part of the first fall's finishing run. Casas a little too blatant setting up Jericho's moonsault for the fall. Second fall feels really disjointed, even by lucha standards. Ramirez pins Felino in the 3rd to take the match for the technicos with a jacknife on a power bomb. Oro was definitely the standout here.

***1/4

• 2 months later...

Tecnicos didn't do a whole lot for me here and Javier Cruz disappointed as he can be good. That said, the Casas brothers delivered and made the match entertaining overall. Jericho did get a nice dive in going way into the crowd. Another enjoyable match although this one didn't feel like it had a lot of consequence hence it wont finish high on my overall ratings for the year. ***1/4

• 7 months later...

Casas made Jericho look great here. Casas directs traffic and keeps Jericho in line to the point where you can tell Jericho is green by his mannerisms and crowd playing, but Casas keeps all of that as hidden as possible by going through spots and wrestling. Jericho seems better here than he does a few years later in WCW. After the first fall I fell asleep. Tried to rewatch the match from after the first fall and just felt like it was there and that I was falling asleep again.

• 10 months later...

I didn't care for this much as a match, which is all too common for me when it comes to the trios style. Some of the dives were great, though, particularly the one at the end of the first fall where Ramirez hurtles headlong into the third row to get at Felino. I guess that was the main program featured in this match, since those two were the team captains.

I noticed that until almost the very end, Casas was involved in every spot which fatured Jericho. I'm wondering if Casa wasn't his designated mentor, for lack of a better term. That is, the veteran that teaches the up-and-coming star what wrestling's all about. If that's the case, CMLL couldn't have made a better choice.

Jericho and his attitude seemed a bit out of place here. Not that they don't play to the crowd a lot in lucha, but he alsmost seemed too perky and earnest to be true, especially with his Hogan-like hand to the ear. Here's hopmg he matures a little during the rest of his Mexican stay.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-04-30-CMLL] Ciclon Ramirez & Corazon de Leon & Oro vs Felino & Javier Cruz & Negro Casas