Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-05-01-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Kevin Sullivan

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This Dutch/Sullivan stuff is fucking tremendous. I legit burst out laughing at every answer Sullivan gave here, especially when he started talking about waterfalls made of kidneys and spleens.

This didn't quite top the one where they're in the dark and Dutch is holding the torch, but it was still awesome.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Dutch says that a lot of people think Kevin Sullivan is sick, but he just thinks that he is misunderstood. They then sit down in the ring for another psychiatric session and Dr Dutch does a little word association with Sullivan. Dr Dutch says words like 'butterflies' and 'flowers' and Sullivan has evil thoughts, when he says 'cage' he has peaceful thoughts, but when he says 'Rage in the Cage', those peaceful thoughts turn to evil. Dutch asks him how he intends to deal with a man like the Nightstalker who betrayed him, and he tells him to remember that 'he's The Master, and you're the pupil'.

I'm interested to see where Sullivan is going here because within a month Nightstalker is Adam Bomb in the WWF and he could very well be in limbo. I thought Nightstalker had a ton of potential here as a top face with his size, look and athletic ability (he does the standing vertical leap from ringside to the apron). They produced a good music video (set to War Machine by KISS) and there is an episode of Down & Dirty with him where Dutch pretty much walks him through the interview. Just a shame he is out of here so soon.

• 9 months later...

This was a reprise of their earlier interview, this time done in front of a live audience with the Nightstalker's betraytal as an added subplot. While it didn't (and couldn't) top the first interview for sheer weirdness. it was still excellent.

This is the best work I've seen out of Sully; he's still certifiably crazy, but he's saying and doing things that the average fan can understand rather than spouting a bunch of mystical mumbo-jumbo. Dutch is a great straight man, and compared to Sully he definitely seems sane and scholarly. I can't wait for the next chapter of this situation!

Bryan Clarke seems to be the first guy Corny set up for a push in SMW who bailed to one of the Big Two before the push could be executed. Before him, guys like Paul Orndorff and the Stud Stable worked on top at least briefly before they left. (In the Studs' case, they main-evented the biggest card SMW has had to date.)

• GSR changed the title to [1993-05-01-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Kevin Sullivan