Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-05-08-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Papa Shango

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any non-Memphis gimmick more suitable for Memphis than Papa Shango? I'd say not. He and Flamingo make a pretty hilariously mismatched couple. Holy crap, these two are beating the shit out of each other. No Memphis heel stall bullshit here, at least that we see. Shango shrugs off a fireball and uses his own bit of fire, from a skull, then follows it up with a bulldog to take the Unified World title (for the second time! Wonder if that tidbit ever got acknowledged).

Goddamned if I don't want to see this in full. These clips are legitimately awesome-looking and this has to be by far the best Charles Wright match ever. These two were spirited as all hell--intensity, a quick pace, and MOVEZ, some of whom I've never seen done by either guy. Lawler was fantastic here but this didn't come off as broomsticky by any means.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm not sure about Flamingo, but I could buy Shango as a good fit with Raven in ECW.

At any rate, who knew Shango could go like that? I'm not saying that he was a superworker or anything of that sort, but he could have been a perfectly good heel big man for Vince if the gimmick and its stupidity hadn't made him into a complete joke. I even bought the fire finish, mostly because Lawler had just used it first, and what's better to fight fire with than fire?

Say what you will about Lawler, but he always busts his hump to get these weirdo types over as something credible. A lot of guys would be concerned with looking like an idiot by fighting a supposed voodoo priest who shoots fire out of an old skull, but Lawler takes it all seriously (well, as seriously as possible under the circumstances), and gets the fans to do so as well.

I guess the inevitable rematch where Lawler gets the belt back wasn't deemed worthy of this set, even in clip form. That's a shame, as I would have liked to see if Lawler could have gotten another match from Shango that was as good as this one,

• GSR changed the title to [1993-05-08-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Papa Shango