Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-05-17-WWF-Raw] 1-2-3 Kid vs Razor Ramon

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Great build to this, with the Kid standing out a little bit by changing his name but otherwise being indistinguishable from any other TV jobber. Kid gets brutalized for a few minutes like any other TV squash, but catches Razor with a moonsault for the mindblowing finish. Crowd absolutely loses their shit, and this is possibly the first year of Raw's defining moment. Great job by the WWF not to telegraph a single thing until the 3-count.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

There's really not much else to say about this. I remembered it being longer as well.

I want to add my congratulations to Vince and company for not telegraphing anything. That's been a bad habit of the WWF: making their angles so obvious that you just want them to get to the payoff and move on. I don't think Vince all of a sudden got an attack of trust as far as the audience went, though; he knew he needed to do something huge that would set ​Raw apart from his other shows, and just being live every two weeks with a B-level main event wasn't enough. It was this match that gave rise to the now-bewhiskered catch phrase "Anything can happen on ​Monday Night Raw​!" If only he knew the political hornet's nest that would be stirred up as a result, as this was the first matchup between members of the infamous Kliq (which wasn't even fully formed yet, as Nash wouldn't debut as Michaels' bodyguard until later this year).

Vince was sure in a laughing mood at the beginning of the segment. Unfortunately, nothing Heenan said was that funny. it's a good thing that the surprise factor of the match forced him to pay attention to the ring a little more, because this was a perfect example of how far he's slipped even since the start of the decade.

I loved Hall complaining to the announcers as if they could do anything for him, especially Savage, whom he was actively trying to cripple just a few short months before.

Cannonball Kid I could understand, but what promotion in their right mind books anyone, even a jobber, as "The Hard-Luck Kid"? You might as well put a sign around his neck for him to wear to the ring saying, "I'm gonna lose".

• GSR changed the title to [1993-05-17-WWF-Raw] 1-2-3 Kid vs Razor Ramon
  • 7 months later...

It's hard to rate this as a match as it's more of angle. Razor brutalises the jobber with a nasty chop and slam. The Kid hits a moonsault and he gets the surprise win, sending the crowd into a frenzy. Razor is furious. This is an exceptionally unique way to debut a talent.