Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-05-22-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Jesse Ventura & Sylvester Stallone

Loss

• 1 month later...

Eric Bischoff interviews Jesse Ventura and Sylvester Stallone on the set of Demolition Man! Stallone, making his first and probably only appearance on these yearbooks, describes movies he has coming out in '93. Jesse is a master self promoter, as always.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do think this makes WCW look pretty big time with Jesse mucking it up with Sly. Although, Sly being shocked they were doing a legends PPV isn't great for promotion and he looked thrilled to be putting on that WCW golf hat. Jesse always knows how to make himself look important.

• 1 year later...

Stallone and Jesse at least acted like they knew each other, which doesn't always happen when wrestlers and celebrities get together for interviews.

What was this supposed to accomplish, Pete? In terms of advancing storylines ot hyping Slamboree, not a blessed thing. But not everything in wrestling has to be about selling or hyping. Eric saw an opportunity to get a Hollywood legend to sit down for an interview, and he took it. There isn't much more to it than that. Jesse's presence in the movie was just an excuse to get the interview shown on WCWSN, which was the only outlet Eric had available to him. I guess ​Showbiz Today ​​on CNN wasn't interested.

I didn't notice Stallone not knowing anything about Slamboree, but why ​should he know about it unless Jesse told him? His wrestling fandom, such as it may be, is likely limited to his time off.

When Stallone first mentioned the movie he did that had something to do with wrestling, I thought he was talking about ​Rocky III.​ I wonder what would have happened if Stallone had mentioned Hogan's appearance in that movie. Would WCW have dared to censor Sly Stallone?

Interesting to hear about Sly and Jesse's mutual passion for golf, which you wouldn't really expect from either of them.

Yes, Eric looks a lot more comfortable interviewing movie stars than he does wrestlers. Maybe WCW would have been better off in the long run if he'd simply forgotten to come back to Atlanta.

• 1 month later...

When Stallone first mentioned the movie he did that had something to do with wrestling, I thought he was talking about ​Rocky III.​ I wonder what would have happened if Stallone had mentioned Hogan's appearance in that movie. Would WCW have dared to censor Sly Stallone?

It was 1978's Paradise Alley, which included Terry Funk who subsequently appeared in Over The Top.

I would venture to guess they wouldn't have edited out any references to Hogan at even this early a point, but we'll never know.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-05-22-WCW-Saturday Night] Interview: Jesse Ventura & Sylvester Stallone