Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-05-22-WCW-Saturday Night] Flair for the Gold: Rick Rude

Loss

• 1 month later...

Flair and Arn are wearing Japanese robes. Rude shows up in a suit upset that he didn't know about the theme for the interview, and Fifi takes him off camera to change clothes. Rude leaves Flair with his own Fifi -- Fufu, who does a striptease as they wrap up. Wow, did Flair really need something to do by this time or what?

• 1 year later...

On the surface, there is no reason Ric Flair vs Rick Rude should not have been the most awesome thing ever. It was hardly that. They should have been stealing women from each other, having drinking contests and brawling every week. Instead, it was played for cheese.

• 1 year later...

They should have been stealing women from each other, having drinking contests and brawling every week.

That would have been so awesome. Flair looks ridiculous. Arn too as he has his dress pants on underneath his robe. Flair plugs the return of the Four Horsemen at Slamboree. Rude is real impressed with Fifi. Rude calls Flair a legend of the past. Nature Boy continuing to take shots on his own show.

• 1 month later...

Oh dear God, geisha girls on the set and Flair and Arn are in kimonos. This show finds new ways to...well, bottom itself. Arn looks like he'd rather be anywhere else in the universe. Flair hypes a live Flair for the Gold at Slamboree with the ORIGINAL FOUR HORSEMEN, ON THE SHOW LIVE. Can't wait for that. "I'm talking about Tully Blanchard!" Wow, don't recall the name actually making television. This goes on while Fifi takes Flair to get dressed. Rude comes back out and sort of gladhands with Ric, which is a role that doesn't fit him at all, while Flair can't decide if he wants to be a babyface or a heel. Rude repays Flair for the hospitality by introducing "Fufu" and I can scarcely believe what I'm watching.

Somehow in one segment they've managed to undercut Flair, Arn, and Rude all at once. Incredible. WCW is so, so painful to watch right now.

• 1 year later...

Flair & Arn are for some reason wearing kimonos. This feels like Ron Burgandy & Brick Tamland. Rude is out and he didn't know the party would be oriental. Fifi takes Rude back to change into something more appropriate. Flair says all four original horsemen will be at Slamboree. Rude back in a kimono but has kept his pants, telling us the taste of raw fish sets his soul on fire. Rude asks if Flair is coming back, but changes the topic. Rude has Fifi get a present for them, and its a woman named Fufu. Rude gives Fifi his number, teasing a program there. Fufu starts to dance and taks off her robe.

What a letdown. Flair vs. Rude should've been a classic feud.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I blinded or what? I thought this was great and runs circles around Flair VIP table in 96 and his mental hospital antics in 99. The Japanese theme does have a Prime Time 91 vibe to it but it is different and we get another foreshadowed feud for the Nature Boy. Arn also giving the ok to Rude for FUFU was funny stuff. Ill defend these segments anytime.

• 7 months later...

Flair for the Gold is such a bizarre concept. Flair is great in his role as a sleazy schmoozing host, but wtf is the point? It feels and plays like a parody but I don't know that it is. Why is it so sex-obsessed? Rude makes a comment about going down on women that seems to have flown over everyone else's head here. Flair and Anderson get a striptease? So strange. At the same time I love it for how insane it is.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

At least Flair plugged Slamboree a little. Compard to the last few segments which barely mentioned wrestling at all, that's an improvement.

Honestly, I don't know what to think. ​AFFTG​ should have been a great show featuring two of the greatest talkers this sport has ever seen, can't miss TV just like ​Piper's Pit​ used to be. Instead, Flair acts like he never wants to hear about wrestling ever again and Arn just sits on a stool with a goofy grin on his face.

Look, I get that Flair can't wrestle yet, so they have to watch how they build angles with him so they don't boil over before they can make any money in the ring. But that doesn't excuse what we've seen here. Let Flair conduct real interviews at least. Fifi and the other incidentals have their place, but once the guest comes out, let's get down to some semblance of business. This is the go-home show for Slamboree, and while Rude briefly mentions his programs with Sasaki and Dustin, tomorrow night's tag with Orndorff against them isn't even referred to once. Paul should have been out there with him getting his share of the attention (and the booty too). As it is, if Arn wasn't wrestling Windham for the NWA belt, I doubt this version of Flair would have even referred to Slamboree at all. Even the Horsemen reunion barely gets a mention, though that may be a blessing considering what we ended up with. (I give them a pass for mentioning Tully, since he was probably coming at the time the show was taped.)

Fufu looked like Terri Runnels in a cheap wig. Even if it wasn't Terri, it was definitely someone wearing a wig, as you can see them adjust it several times.

What was the Japanese theme about? Flair and Rude didn't look bad in kimonos, but Arn was way out of place. It would have had a place if Rude wanted to play mind games with Sasaki, but we get no indication whatsoever that that's the case.

Rude brought up the possibility of a Flair return, so you can guess it's coming soon in some form or fashion. I didn't know that the WWF non-competes were so strict that Ric couldn't even hint at a return until his was up, but if that was true, as I've said before, Eric should have waited until Slamboree to bring Flair back instead of doing so in February and wasting him like WCW has ever since.

I notice that we've got three more of these coming up in June, so we can hope that they'll get better once Flair can start promoting his comeback match. It's a longshot, but we can hope.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-05-22-WCW-Saturday Night] Flair for the Gold: Rick Rude