[1993-06-15-ECW-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert

Loss

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

The Phils were actually up on the Cardinals by a whopping ten and a half games on the night this promo was first seen. Believe it or not, that fact hurts it in my eyes. For heaven's sake, Paul, either tell Eddie to read a sports page or get a flunky to do it before Eddie starts cutting cheap heat promos based on lies of this kind. This just reinforces the fact that Eddie neither knows nor cares much about the town he supposedly wants to be king of, and I mean that in a legitimate non-wrestling sense.

More importantly, I think Eddie's been lapped by Terry in the promo department throughout this feud. I've heard Eddie do better than this in Memphis and for Watts practically in his sleep. He's at his best when he's logical, sarcastic, and humorous, not as a blustering blowhard. I'm surprised that he's forgotten that, especially since he knows that he's going against a master talker like Terry. He doesn't look like anything special at all here, and his mouth is what makes him who he is, not his ringwork (although he's not a bad physical worker by any stretch).

This whole angle better really be going somewhere, especially since it looks from the match listing like Eddie's going to beat Terry and claim the crown. Personally, I'd hop the first thing moving back to Memphis and be content to be Lawler's main foil from now until the end of time, but now that the Kingfish has attacked Bret, that role seems to be more than capably filled both in Memphis and the WWF.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-06-15-ECW-TV] Interview: Eddie Gilbert