Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-09-CMLL] Felino vs Ciclon Ramirez

Loss

• 2 months later...

This is a match people who are getting their feet wet with lucha should watch. It really is the most American-style lucha match I've ever seen in terms of the way the match builds from fall to fall and the psychology. Much of this is based around Felino destroying Ciclon's arm, and Ciclon coming back with some amazing dives. Nasty submissions, especially the fall finishes. This will finish pretty high for the year for me. Great post-match celebration from Felino too.

• 2 years later...

I love Felino's fluffy outfit, he was like the Mexican Tiger Mask. I was glad he won as he also showed plenty of charisma. Ramirez did a few nice dives but otherwise didn't have that much going for him in terms of ability, personality or image. The match quality was reasonable enough and the stipulation always adds a lot.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Legit top 5 MOTYC. This was truly fantastic, with no Negro Casas to fuck things up for us. Felino is probably not the best luchador of his day but he might be the guy I most wish had made it to WCW--he had incredible amounts of energy, crazy bumping skills, and enough high-flying that I think he could have gotten over. Agreed on how American this is, with full-blown "control segments" and body part psychology, building slowly to the big bumps and dives in the third fall. Ciclon takes two of the nastiest post shots I have ever seen, and all three winning submissions look suitably nasty. The only thing holding this back from being a true MOTY rather than just a candidate is that Felino's third-fall victory seemed to come a little too easily for my liking--he'd just eaten a huge dive and was getting the shit kicked out of him, but a few punches is all that turned the tide. That's a really minor nitpick, though. This is one of the best lucha efforts since 1990. How is it I'd never heard of Ciclon Ramirez before getting to this set?

• 1 year later...

Awesome match with tons of build up to a hot finish ending in the dives. This had wrestling, high flying and brawling aspects. Pretty much this felt like a slightly lighter version of the Dandy/Satanico jack of all trades match from October 1990 that I greatly enjoyed. Felino is able to obtain the mask of Ciclon in very dramatic fashion. ****1/4

• 1 year later...

This was much more of a mat-based match than most lucha bouts are, and both men seemed well-versed in suvmissions. There's something inherently humiliating about quitting your mask away twice, and that's what happened to Ciclon here.

Felino really looked good working over Ciclon's arm, and I agree with Pete about the nastiness of the post shots. Ciclon's dives looked nice, but he seemed a little off-balance to me because he had to account for his injured arm.

I've seldom seen a babyface so reluctant to remove his mask in one of these bouts; then again, if I'd just been made to submit twice in a match where my mask was on the line, I'd be reluctant to take it off, too.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-09-CMLL] Felino vs Ciclon Ramirez