Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-10-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Tracy Smothers

Loss

• 2 months later...

As Smothers is vowing revenge, Brian Lee and Tammy quickly interrupt. Tammy says she would have turned on him too, because she'd be so embarrassed to have such a redneck friend. Smothers gets in a few good lines on Tammy and then we get a brawl. This feud heated up quickly. Smothers is getting the better of it, but Tammy sprays him in the eyes with her perfume. The Armstrongs finally come out to run them off.

• 9 months later...

Watching the TV, it really feels like this just came out of nowhere. One week, Brian Lee is a directionless babyface, and the next he's turning on Smothers and hooking up with Tammy. But you're right, it turns into a hot feud quickly, and Brian Lee is much better as a heel than he was as a babyface.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Strong words from Tracey, vowing to re-hospitalize Brian Lee. Lee comes out and they have a good back-and-forth--it's incredible how much better Lee has gotten on the stick, as a talker and a personality. As the brawl erupts, Fytch yanks Smothers' hair and waits for him to hesitate from hitting her, allowing Tammy to spray him in the eyes with something.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Dutch says that Tracey has had his fair share of trials and tribulations in Smoky Mountain Wrestling, but questions what caused this latest run in he had with Brian Lee? Smothers says that Tammy Fytch has swayed Lee’s thinking and has turned him against his friends and family with the cars, the swimming pools and the houses. He tells Lee that he helped him get started in the sport and when Kevin Sullivan busted his head open and half killed him, he went to the hospital with him. Now though he is going to try and put him in the hospital. They are then joined by Lee and Fytch and Lee tells him he is going to collect that $20,000 bounty that is on his head and take get the Heavyweight title he has too. Fytch says that Smothers had his chance to sign with her but she is glad he didn’t as she would be embarrassed if she had to bring a manure shoveling, country bumpkin like him around with her. Smothers then asks Lee if Fytch is his manager and did she buy him that car and the house? When he confirms she is and that she did, he says that makes a change as from what he has heard, people used to pay her for her services (Smothers butchers this line though). Fytch slaps Smothers and he and Lee start fighting. With Smothers on top Fytch grabs his hair and then sprays him in the face with hairspray temporary blinding him. Lee clotheslines Smothers and puts a beating on him until Steve & Scott Armstrong make the save.

Good segment. It's a broken record but Lee is so much better as a heel than he is as a face, whilst Tammy very quickly is falling into her role perfectly.

• 7 months later...

This wasn't exactly new and different, but it sure was spirited.

I missed Brian confiming that Tammy is indeed a tramp, but I caught Tracy's line about Tammy paying people for sex. I know what he really ​meant to say, but the idea of Tammy offering money to complete strangers in exchange for allowing her to have sex with them makes her seem even more desperate and sleazy than she already is.

Another thing I noticed: When Tracy and Brian started fighting, Tammy ran around like she didn't know quite what to do, which I assume was planned. But did anyone else notice the smile on her face, even when Tracy had the advantage? Whether it was intentional or not, it reinforces the idea of Tammy being first and foremost someone who enjoys seeing two big, dumb, sweaty men fight. It's amazing that someone so young and inexperienced can get so much across with just facial expressions. She might not have been born into the business, but she's picking it up so quickly it's amazing. Her promos need a little work, as she noticeably fumbled a line or two, but that will come with time; most people in her position can only say a line or two without ​fumbling.

I loved Dutch saying "I'm not in this!" as Tracy and Brian fought in front of him. It seems like he's trying to play things straight more since Fuller and Golden have gone and taken his reason to be a heel away. By the way, am I the only one who thinks Dutch could have made just as good a Colonel Parker as Fuller. albeit a sleazier version who's more of a con man and hustler than a monied Southern entrepreneur and promoter?

I thought Sully's bounty as on Lee, not Smothers. I guess it wouldn't make any sense for Sully to target a fellow heel, but I wish they would have offered a brief explanation for Sully's problem with Tracy. Maybe they did and I missed it.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-10-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Tracy Smothers