Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-10-SMW-TV] Rock & Roll Express vs Ron & Don Harris

Loss

• 2 months later...

Joined in progress. Typical last few minutes of a Rock & Rolls match. The Bruise Brothers switch out when Cornette distracts Gibson. Cornette whacks Gibson with a racket to give the Bruise Brothers the titles. I kinda wish the switcheroo would have been the finish because it would have kept the focus on the teams instead of Cornette, but I guess Cornette felt he had to stay the top heel because he knew he'd always be around.

• 1 year later...

Well, even against the Rock' Roll, the Harris boys can't work a lick. It's amazing how they look clueless, how nothing they do look remotely good, how they are incapable to work like monsters. That these guys found work everywhere in the 90's baffles me. They had somewhat of a look as Brody's little brothers, but that's it. They are even worse than Sid.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Damned if the Bruise Brothers don't look halfway-competent here. Their offense looks okay and they put the Rock 'n Rolls offense over. Of course, Ricky Morton could probably drag a compelling match out of El Gigante & Zeus. Cornette whacks Robert Gibson with the tennis racket and the Bruise Brothers are new Smoky Mountain Tag Team Champions.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

The Rock & Rolls are scheduled to face Robbie Eagle & Jimmy Janetty but before the match gets underway the Bruise Brothers and Jim Cornette come out and the Brothers throw the jobbers out of the ring. Cornette gets on the mic and says how the jobbers didn’t look good enough to take on a team of the Rock & Roll Express’ caliber. He tells them they can put the tag titles on the line right now against the Bruise Brothers or they can turn round and admit to these rednecks that they’re a pair of yellow, stinking cowards. The Rock & Rolls hand the belts to Mark Curtis and accept the challenge.

In the title match itself, double dropkick to one of the Bruise Brothers and as Mark Curtis tries to get Ricky Morton out of the ring the twins do a switcheroo. Robert Gibson picks up the twin that believes was the recipient of the dropkick but gets nailed with a clothesline. Gibson kicks out on two and Morton gets back in the ring to fight with the other twin. Curtis is distracted by them fighting, and when the legal Bruise Brother whips Gibson into the ropes Cornette cracks him in the back with his tennis racket. The twin covers him and we have new tag team champions.

Fairly dull match, slow paced and the Bruise Brothers are pretty bad when they try to do a straight wrestling match and are not allowed to brawl or use weapons

• 6 months later...

I may need to see more of the Harrises, but from what I saw here, they weren't too awful. Granted, Ricky and Robert had a lot to do with that, but they still had to know what to do and when to do it, even if "it" was basic stuff.

Personally, I think the Harrises look more like Dutch Mantell's little brothers than Brody's, but that's just me.

I'm a bit surprised that the Harrises won the belts here, but keep in mind that, at least for the moment, the focus of the tag scene in SMW was Armstrongs-Bodies, with the belts taking a back seat, That means that Corny could get away with a shock title change like this, especially if he was the direct cause of it. As Loss said above and I've said repeatedly, at the end of the day there's only one heel of any consequence in SMW, and his name is James E. Cornette.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-10-SMW-TV] Rock & Roll Express vs Ron & Don Harris