Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-18-WCW-Beach Blast] Hollywood Blonds vs Arn Anderson & Paul Roma

Loss

• 2 months later...

Aside from the Bagwell/Scorpio match, this is probably the best match of the entire Blonds run. Looooonngg, but good use of the time. It's kind of a greatest hits version of the Blonds match they had put together all year with a lot of the same schtick and big spots. Roma holds his own and looks good, I think this is easily a career match for him.

• 1 year later...

I couldn't disagree more. I thought this totally dragged, they went way too long and got virtually no heat until the hot tag by Arn, which got heat for 15 seconds until people realized Roma was the guy who just came in. Roma has zero charisma as a babyface, so his face in peril segment was boring and wooden, Lance Storm couldn't have been worse. His work was mechanically ok, but really, Z-Man would have been much better as far as getting a connection with the crowd, that's how useless Roma was here. Arn is just not that great in a babyface in peril role either, although much better, but two long babyface in peril segments with two miscast babyfaces just makes the match kind of a drag to me, although the Blondes were really good. All in all, a mediocre match that could have been really good if it went 15 minutes with the Blondes bumping and selling their ass off before stealing the win. Plus booking an overlong match just before a garanteed 30 minutes match (Dustin vs Rude) is a flagrant booking mistake.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

First couple minutes in and Roma has already got more ring time than that six man previously that included Flair and Windham also. I like the spots with Arn, who has been around the block, using the hair on a headlock take down of Pillman and pretending to shake hands with Austin before kicking him in the stomach. Roma tags back in a makes a mess out of a backslide. Pillman is showing a lot of cheek but doesn’t fix his tights. I so miss Jesse on commentary. He and Tony get in a debate on the over the top rule as Anderson suplexed Austin over the top to the outside but there was no DQ. Was thinking how it would be funny to me if the finishing tag team move for Anderson/Roma was Paul missing a clothesline but Arn connecting with the spinebuster on the running opponent. Pillman makes a very close save! I didn't feel like it dragged but the lack of heat at times was very noticeable.

• 3 weeks later...

Some good stuff here, but this match was probably ten minutes longer than it needed to be. Roma is pretty much a charismatic black hole in this role, so there are long stretches without much heat except when the Blonds are jawing with the fans or Arn is in. Paul could be good as a cocky heel or as an underdog, but a babyface Horseman didn't suit him at all. The Blonds are very good at what they do but are mostly reduced to classic heel stooging spots--much easier on Flyin' Brian's body, I'm sure, but the big epic tag and high-flying spots from earlier in the year are disappearing. The Steiners and Money Inc. actually put on a tighter and more compelling and interesting TV bout than what we got here. The finish was a swerve, as Schiavone subtly alludes to when he talks about how the Blonds surprised "more people than we even know," referring to the upcoming developments given away at Disney--but that was about the only new thing under the sun here.

• 1 year later...

Feel like I am in between everyone. I did enjoy this more than Steiners/Money Inc. but they are close and this got really long in the double FIP section. The Blondes do have a good bit of offense that feels unique and has them working together as a team and the finish was a nice heel escape win done well. Roma continues to try but just be a dead man walking. Very good match but certainly one that can require some patience. ***1/2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I liked this better than most of you. It was the best possible match you could have with Roma as Arn's partner, at least so far. I thought he was very effective as an FIP; that role has been so spoiled by the likes of Ricky Morton that we as fans expect that kind of heat in every tag match, which is neither possible nor desirable. The fans had barely gotten to know Roma as a Horseman yet; it makes sense that there would be apathy, or at the very least a "let's see what this guy has before we accept him" type of vibe. With that as a handicap facing him, I thought Roma was superb. I might have preferred that Arn's FIP segment was longer and Roma's a bit shorter, but that's all.

The Blonds were at their best as a wrestling team here, which has been lacking in the bouts we've seen lately. Austin in particular looked like a million bucks, and he and Arn could have made money in a singles feud if the DA breakup had gone a different way. There was just enough of Pillman for a little something different, and also to do his insane clothesline on the railing, which he's a better man than me for even attempting once​, let alone doing on a regular basis with his legitimate throat injuries. Off of this bout, I understand why Dusty broke the Blonds up; Austin could (and did, for the most part) carry a half-hour match against the likes of Arn Anderson, which Pillman wasn't quite as capable of. Besides, he was probably a better natural babyface, or so the thinking went pre-Loose Cannon.

The finish was exactly the right type of bullshit finish, and I liked that both Roma and Austin used the tights for their final rollup, which meant that the losing team, whoever it turned out to be, had no real squawk. This finish guaranteed at least one more match, which (sadly) Pillman would be injured for, at the next Clash.

Tony and Jesse were back to being antagonists again, although this time they managed to make it work for the match. Jesse let his love of the Blonds flow, and even though Tony didn't openly cheer for the Horsemen, anyone who'd watched JCP/WCW for any length of time knew just how intertwined he was with both Arn as an individual and the Horsemen in general. This made for some interesting exchanges, the best of which came when Arn suplexed Austin over the top to the floor and Jesse immediately called for the DQ. He kept it up for about the next two minutes, until Tony snapped, "Get over it! The match is still going on!" There have been times in matches where an exchange like that between them seemed to come out of genuine exasperation on Tony's part, but this wasn't one of them. It made perfect sense based on what we know about Tony and Jesse as announcers, and it should happen in that manner more often.

Lines of the Night: Jesse explaining why a nice guy like Sylvester Stallone would like an arrogant team like the Blonds: "Us Hollywood types have to stick together; we're the ones who make all the money".

Tony to Jesse, upon hearing that the Blonds are Stallone's favorite tag team: "Are they Wesley Snipes' favorite tag team too?"

I'm kind of sorry that this was the Blonds' last major match as a team (at least for me as a viewer), but I have to say that I'm anxious to see Austin's upcoming push; I want to know if anything happened which could possibly excuse the monumental blunder Bischoff and company seemingly made by not installing him as the new face of the franchise, so to speak.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-07-18-WCW-Beach Blast] Hollywood Blonds vs Arn Anderson & Paul Roma