Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-07-31-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 2 months later...

Lawler brags that more people have come to see him wrestle than for any act in the history of Mid South Coliseum. I'd hope that's the case, considering he's gone there weekly for two decades, but I'll let him have his moment.

He does a great promo about his feud with Bret Hart, explaining why calling himself a King is an insult. He says he knows the Hart family is huge, but Bret has never seen a family as huge as his fans.

Love this.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Lawler doesn't say much that he hasn't said before here, but the context is everything. Seeing him standing outside the building that he in a sense made famous, that's really his "palace" if you will, adds gravity to the whole thing, as does his mentioning of the various classic feuds that he's been involved in. This really feels like his biggest to date, bigger than Dundee, Mantel, Jimmy Hart, Andy Kaufman, you name them. This time, he's not defending just himself and his belt and crown, he's defending the people of Memphis and their way of life against the Godless invaders from New York, and there's no way that Bret can be allowed to prevail.

It's amazing that Bret's treated like the most evil heel in the world in Memphis, while Lawler's just an annoying, delusional little twerp who snaps at Bret's ankles in the WWF. I wasn't watching regularly by now, but when I'd flip through the channels and hear Lawler giving Bret a hard time, I never got the impression that it was supposed to mean much in the grand scheme of things, that there was any doubt that Bret would not only beat Lawler, but obliterate a man who on his best day wasn't anything close to the wrestler Bret was.

I wonder why Vince was so hesitant to portraying Lawler as any kind of in-ring threat not just to Bret, but to anyone else in the WWF. Instead of that, we got a constant dose of the worst side of Lawler, the unfunny dime-store comic who knows damn well his material stinks but tries to force it down the audience's throats because that's all he knows how to do. Wasn't there anyone else who could have filled a role like that? Why try to ruin an already legendary performer like Lawler?

• GSR changed the title to [1993-07-31-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler