Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-09-USWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler vs Mr Perfect

Loss

• 3 months later...

Great little match. Hennig is way more aggressive than he normally was in the WWF and does a lot of cool leg work. I like the bullshit stuff at the end too. As a heel, this is Hennig's Flair performance, only he's a little more vicious. Lawler is really good too, but he gives Hennig most of this match.

• 2 years later...

My first reaction was how much TV time of this we got to see from the Coliseum and all those matches that we only get brief highlights. Corey Maclin probably breaks the record for saying Unified the most times in this match. It's an alright match for me as I do like Perfect being more aggressive and less over the top on the bumping. Just something about Perfect in 93 that rubs me bad. I did really like the finish though even with the referee reversal. When Lawler clocks Perfect the the chain he throws it over his shoulder into the crowd. It gets caught by this dude in front row who had been jawing with Perfect most of the match. That was fitting.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the longest MSC clips seen since the 1980's. Overbooked in that classic Memphis style, but psychologically sound and they do throw some wrinkles at us. Still not a fan of promotions arbitrarily overturning referee's decisions as a booking crutch--either enact a full instant-replay system or stick to the "referee's decision is final." Or find a more creative way to do it, like they did with Heenan overstepping his bounds in the IC title match on Raw.

• 1 year later...

Its a fantastic clip and nice to see a long match from the Coliseum. Suprised they never aired any highlights of this on USWA TV. Loved how Perfect did his standard heel gimmick working on the leg a great under rated match.

Anyone know what Home Video Release this match made it on as the quality is fantastic!

• 1 month later...

Beautiful production to this match with a nice tight shot and Corey narrating. Perfect goes after the leg with great aggression and it really maximizes the storyline of the match overall. This feels like a 1987 heel AWA Hennig performance with Lawler being the best possible Mitch Snow. Great comeback and Perfect takes his SUmmerSlam 1991 bumps. Schmozz finish kind of derails the fun basic but brutal feeling of this but the crowd was hot and Vampire Warrior mixed in was effective. I loved the guy and the cowboy hat and woman fighting over the chain that Lawler throws into the crowd. This made me want to see way more MSC stuff from the 1990's. ***1/2

• 1 year later...

This was good until the end.

Look, I know that no contracted WWF talent can ever possibly hold the Unified title because the MSC shows conflict with Raw​, so Curt isn't going to win here. But did we have to have an almost exact replay of the same finish twice? One ref bump-outside interference-nail the other guy with a chain sequence is enough, and it should have been the second one. If they had to do a false win for Curt, let him put his feet on the ropes or something similar. For one thing, Frank Morrell is getting too old to be taking two bumps in the same match. For two, Eddie Marlin is still presumably watching from ringside, and Curt's initial victory has already been overturned, so how stupid can he be to think he'll get away with having the same guy (Vampire Warrior) throw the same chain into him so he can hit Lawler a second time? Promotions think they can get away with stuff like this because the live crowd's so caught up in the action that they won't sweat the details, but this one was so obvious it was pitiful.

All of that aside, Curt worked over Lawler's leg with more precision than he's shown in the WWF for years, if not ever. We saw not only the figure-four, but the spinning toehold and the Indian deathlock, and the camera got close enough that we could see Lawler selling for all he was worth, which was a nice touch. Too bad Mr. Maclin didn't know what the hell either a spinning toehold or an Indian deathlock was. I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky that he recognized the figure four. Similarly, he called Lawler's bulldog a DDT not once, but twice. Okay, so they're the same basic move (one from the side, one from the front), but Corey doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me that others would in that situation; he's miscalled so many moves that there are no more accidents as far as I'm concerned; he's ignorant until proven otherwise.

Speaking of which, I would have thought that they'd want to play up the history between these two more than they did. Even though it's been five years, everyone in Memphis knows who Lawler beat to win his only universally recognized World title, so a mention of that would be mandatory, or so you would think. But not from Lance Jr. He goes silent just when a history or strategy lesson would be in order because he knows nothing of either. About the only things he knew for sure was that the match was for the Unified title and how much time it took. Please, Papa, make arrangements with WMC to give Dave Brown Mondays off so he can call the matches at the MSC. If you can't do that, bring back Randy Hales. Anyone but this ham-and-egger.

By the way, what was the exact finish? Did Lawler pin Curt, or did Vampire Warrior make the save in time to get Curt disqualified?

I forgot to talk about Morrell's ref shirt. I've never seen a referee advertise before, particularly for a body shop. I'll bet Sandy Barr in Portland wishes he'd thought to advertise his flea market on his shirt!

This was good until the end.

Look, I know that no contracted WWF talent can ever possibly hold the Unified title because the MSC shows conflict with Raw​, so Curt isn't going to win here. But did we have to have an almost exact replay of the same finish twice? One ref bump-outside interference-nail the other guy with a chain sequence is enough, and it should have been the second one. If they had to do a false win for Curt, let him put his feet on the ropes or something similar. For one thing, Frank Morrell is getting too old to be taking two bumps in the same match. For two, Eddie Marlin is still presumably watching from ringside, and Curt's initial victory has already been overturned, so how stupid can he be to think he'll get away with having the same guy (Vampire Warrior) throw the same chain into him so he can hit Lawler a second time? Promotions think they can get away with stuff like this because the live crowd's so caught up in the action that they won't sweat the details, but this one was so obvious it was pitiful.

Papa Shango held the unified title in May of 1993, Owen held it in June 1993. Also, Tatanka held it in 1993 too. Now granted, these were only 1-3 week title reigns. Ahmed Johnson and Razor Ramon held the unified title in 1995 for a month each but that was when they weren't running Monday's.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-09-USWA-Mid-South Coliseum] Jerry Lawler vs Mr Perfect