Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-18-SMW-Jefferson City, TN] Rock & Roll Express vs Heavenly Bodies (Losers Must Bungee Jump)

Loss

• 3 months later...

Bungee jumping freaks me out. I got queasy just watching the 18 year old tape of it, I can't imagine doing it. This is a good match. Lots of struggle, I assume because the Rock & Rolls had no interest in jumping. Crazy idea for a match. Only in wrestling. Pritchard's jump is seriously nerve-racking.

What was the buildup for this match like, anyone know?

Having a hard time trying to imagine the context in which you go up some guys and say hey "I wanna fight ya'll in a losers must bungee jump match" and actually have that make sense as opposed to any number of established pro wres stips that could have been inserted instead.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good little match in a unique setting. Too bad about the weak-sauce finish. It does lead to a funny post-match argument between Del Ray and Prichard over who has to take the jump--Mark Curtis settles that by forcing both of them to do it. Then he takes one himself, ever the trooper. Chaz and Steven Dane are nowhere to be found.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I like the idea of having a regular match, then the jump better than the scaffold-type match that Kevin suggested. It would have been like a battle royal with guys trying to push each other off the scaffold, and there would been very little in the way of action (just like the scaffold match at Starrcade '91, which no one wants to see a repeat of, ever).

The match itself was far from the greatest these two franchises (including Lane) have ever had, but a county fair isn't really the place for a super-intense five-star classic. We got a lot of comedy (which included the constant switches without tagging by both teams), a brief FIP segment from Ricky (which is a must-have regardless of location) and some great heel begging after the bout from the Bodies when they learned that a maneuver they've pulled a thousand times to get themselves out of trouble (throwing their opponent over the top rope to draw a DQ) ended up turning both of them into unwilling daredevils.

In all seriousness, both Prichard and Del Ray had to know how to jump beforehand; there's no way in the world a wrestler would have agreed to be booked in a dangerous match like this unless he had the skill to avoid being splattered all over the arena (or, in this case, the fairgrounds) They both looked pretty good jumping; so did Curtis and the girl we saw at the end, for that matter.

Speaking of Curtis, he must have been in training for his upcoming matches in the turtle suit against Corny, the way he got physical with both teams early on. At least it all set up one of the best spots in the match: Ricky wants to nail Dr. Tom with a roundhouse right, but Mark stops him, so he snaps off a short left jab instead and knocks Dr. Tom for a loop anyway. Great stuff from two guys who know each other like the backs of their hands.

If you're wondering where Corny was, he was most likely seconding Yoko at a Challenge ​taping in Lowell, MA. He sure picked a good night to miss, although I would have paid big money to either see him jump or beg like hell to get out of it. (Actually, I think he'd have gotten out of it because of his legitimately bad knees, even if he'd been there.)

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-18-SMW-Jefferson City, TN] Rock & Roll Express vs Heavenly Bodies (Losers Must Bungee Jump)