Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-18-WCW-Clash of Champions XXIV] Ricky Steamboat vs Paul Orndorff

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Orndorff looks like he has slown down a bit compared to his first few months in WCW, either that or he was keeping some under his belt, but it's a good match with a hot finishing stretch. These guys were 41 and 44 respectively, and showed those young punks how to work a good, solid, safe and heated match. Good post-match beating by Orndorff, whose stock has seriously gone way up with me after watching his SMW and WCW work (including his short 1990 sting). Gotta love Ventura still cracking up at the Shockmaster early during Steamboat's introduction. God knows what he was saying to Tony when that happened, must have been hilarious to hear them.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What the hell happened to the lights? Bush-league shit all the way around on this show. Still, the wrestlers can't be faulted for effort--this is a good closing stretch with some clever false finishes. Steamboat wins the TV belt and is rewarded by getting piledriven on it after the match. Glad to see Steamboat's old theme back.

I can't believe they hyped two mystery partners on one show. A case of the left booking hand not knowing what the right was doing?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This is one of those feuds that Vince missed the boat on back in the mid eighties. Thankfully, it delivered just as well in 1993 from what we saw here. Orndorff in particular looked better than he has at any time since his Hogan run, and I loved his piledriver on the TV belt after the match. Steamer was as solid as ever, and I'm glad to see him back in the singles ranks, where I've always liked him better.

Tony completely blew the spot where Steamer knocked Paul over the top, calling it a double chop instead of a clothesline. There are times when he's as bad as Vince when it comes to calling the actual action these days, which is pathetic. He redeemed himself by calling Jesse out for handing Orndorff the TV belt (which wasn't used in the finish), and I liked this exchange after Orndorff's postmatch attack:

Jesse: Is that called handing your belt over with dignity or what?

Tony: It's called what!

I hope to see more of this feud throughout the fall.

• 6 months later...

WCW World TV Champion Paul Orndorff vs Ricky Steamboat - WCS Clash of Champions

Once you see Orndorff's atrophied right arm you can't look away. Just a good, solid match by two pros. Lots of urgency and a good build to strong finish. Orndorff was always right there with a tight pinning combination cradling the leg and neck with interlocked fingers. It wasn't fancy but great in getting the match over. Steamboat was great in FINISH chops and the dive over the top even if Orndorff bumped weird. Hate the I think I won but I didn't false finish. Some great nearfalls down the stretch before the Mania III finish takes it for the Dragon. Good match. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-18-WCW-Clash of Champions XXIV] Ricky Steamboat vs Paul Orndorff