Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-13-AAA-Sin Limite] MS-1 vs Cien Caras (Hair vs Hair)

Loss

• 3 months later...

Really basic and accessible. MS-1 still has it, which is great to see, as most footage I have seen from him is from the 80s. This is a really good match, especially the third fall. I thought the brawl involving the seconds in the first fall was outstanding. There were also some nice pinning combos and some matwork that I loved. Wrestled more like a title match than a hair match. This feels like the lucha version of Devil Masami/Bull Nakano in some ways, meaning that it's not as contemporary as some other stuff going on in the style, but the mastery of the basics is so awesome that it really doesn't matter. Huge pop for the finish, which was Caras winning.

• 2 years later...

Some nice production during the intro's. Well, by the standards of the time anyway. Caras has cool musica.

The booking was fantastic as it covered for Cien's average in ring ability. The first two caidas MS-1 worked over the arm, yet the main action took place outside of the ring. Satanico was getting away with murder helping out his Infernales teammate. The one eyed ref was only concerned with stopping CC's outraged second, Mascara Ano 2000. Eventually he DQ'd him and sent him back to the locker room. This meant Satan had free reign as he and MS-1 manipulated the official. They went to the well once too often though as Satanico also got DQ'd and banished! This was all hugely entertaining and put a big smile on my face.

It was now a straight up tercera. By itself it was reasonable enough, although you're not going to get great action with Caras. In this case the smart booking had given them the base that they wouldn't have gotten from working the first two falls straight up. The final fall in a wager match has plenty enough inbuilt excitement once you've arrived there. This wasn't a great match or even close, but it was way better than I anticipated.

• 2 months later...

Yes, Caras music was pretty great. Seemed more of the hatred was from the second Satanico who was really going to town on the outside interference on Caras. The outside stuff was probably the best thing for me as they spread it over the first two falls. But then the seconds got booted out and we get the one on one for third fall.

• 2 weeks later...

What's with all the Caras music love? MS-1's entrance is even better.

Tirantes and the seconds make nuisances of themselves throughout this, as both guys work as straight-up heels with liberally interfering seconds. Eventually both Mascara Ano 2000 and Satanico get banished after each man causes their man to get disqualified. There's some cool matwork here, but most of the story revolves around Tirantes. I've made my opinion on such stories rather clear before, so I'll just say that it's well done for what it is. Caras finally gets a pinning combo on MS-1 and Tirantes, who was showing frustration with every MS-1 kickout before, says "fuck it" and fast-counts him to end the match and MS-1's hair.

• 1 year later...

Great old man brawl. Stiff punches, dramatic pinfalls, Some Tirantes stuff that wasn't awful. This is a win in my book even besides the flaws. I think the hate and charisma of this match compared to the also flawed matches that preceded it show the minor differences that can make or break a match. ****

• 1 year later...

I liked the third fall, and thought it would have served as a decent first fall if we hadn't had so much stuff with the seconds. It was really no worse than we get in some Ameircan matches, but I thought Mexican wager matches were supposed to be above that sort of thing, at least to the extent that we saw it here. In spite of it all, MS-1 did some fine work on Caras' arm, but it took second place to all the drama with the referee and the seconds, which was a shame.

By the third fall, I thought the ref had gotten tired of ​both ​of them and simply wanted the match over with, which isn't exactly an admirable quality in a referee, regardless of what country he's from or which side of the fence he favors.

The entrances really were the best thing about this, and whoever had the idea of MS-1 getting his hair cut with the pyro going off and Caras' music playing deserves a raise. What a visual.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-13-AAA-Sin Limite] MS-1 vs Cien Caras (Hair vs Hair)
  • 5 months later...

This was a AAA wagers match alright. Tirantes bullshit, each man's second getting involved several times, some dude having his head shaved as the victor's music and pyro blazes in the background. But hey, the Tirantes bullshit wasn't totally over the top, the involvement of each guy's second was fun as fuck, and the music and pyro blazing as the loser has his head shaved actively ruled. So this was an enjoyable hair match between two of the most charismatic old dudes in lucha. MS-1 and Satanico made for an awesome pair of thugs through those first couple caidas. Every single chance he had, Satanico would get involved. He threw pot shots, tripped up Caras when the comeback might've been on, I think at one point he even punched him in the balls. It all got a bit much for Mascara Ano 2000 and he finally jumped Satanico for his nonsense, but all that did was get himself removed from ringside. Satanico going a step too far in the segunda and also getting bounced set up the tercera as a proper showdown. In execution it felt more like the third fall of a title match, but they sold the struggle well and I'll probably never not get into a big Cien Caras deciding fall. Say whatever you want about him as a worker, but that dude has charisma out the wazoo and his death stare at Tirantes was unbelievable.

• 2 years later...

Cien Caras is the hot rudo but he got out-rudo’d by the Infernales. Tirantes was constantly being manipulated by Satanico and then distracted by Mascara Ano 2k, which allowed for MS-1 and Satanico to cheat and double team on Caras. Eventually Ano 2k loses his shit and attacks Satanico, getting the DQ for his brother and giving the fall to MS-1. MS-1 continues working the arm, as he did during the first fall and Satanico kept on pushing his luck. But with no Mascara Anos 2K to distract the ref, Tirantes caught Satanico and awarded the fall to Cien Caras via DQ, making it 1-1. And the final fall is finally mano v mano and it delivers on that with solid action built around struggle and drama. The pop when Cien Caras gets the pin and gives MS-1 his comeuppance was awesome. As was Touch and Go (The entrance music of Cien Caras) getting played while MS-1 is getting his hair shaved. ****