Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-24-Michinoku Pro] Great Sasuke vs Super Delphin

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This may or may not be the same studio where that W*ING/Memphis crossover tag match from an earlier Yearbook took place. Or it may or may not be the AWA's Pink Room. Or it may be both.

This was okay, but suffered in the face of raised expectations after their asskicking first match. There's some really crisp offense here but the opening matwork is rather meandering, and I don't get the necessity of the ref bump ending at all. Doesn't help that this is an Earl Hebner-type selljob where he's knocked into a coma and has to do absurdly slow "dramatic" three counts. That was one murderous German suplex that Delfin won with, though.

• 1 year later...

Weird studio and not as good as the July match but still a lot to like here for me as this had a long but really solid base to start things off and then escalated into a really fun ending sequence. I remain impressed at the restraint shown by the youngsters in these matches and the fact that almost everything is hit really smoothly. M-Pro continues to be one of my favorite things to watch throughout the year. ***1/2

• 1 year later...

From the minute that they handcuffed Delphin's manager to the top turnbuckle, I figured he'd end up as part of the finish, and he did. My problem wasn't that there was a ref bump, it was that the ref laid there out cold for far too long to be believable. Weren't there any other referees in the building who could have come down and taken over? Of course, that would have meant that Delphin's stablemate wouldn't have been able to interfere and powerbomb Sasuke, which is what really led to the pin. Delphin's suplex looked devastating, but it was just window dressing.

Before all the shenanigans, this was quite a good bout. These two can definitely go, and though the setting was a bit sterile they managed to overcome it and put on a show. Nothing overly flashy, but satisfying nonetheless. If this is an example of what Michinoku Pro can be, I'm definitely on board for more.

It seems almost like this bout was staged as part of a talk show or other non-wrestling TV segment, knid of like the match that took place in the Donahue ​studio during his show on the AWA. If that's the case, they may have been better served taping the match at an arena and showing the tape instead.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-24-Michinoku Pro] Great Sasuke vs Super Delphin