Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-25-AJW-Legacy of Queens] Aja Kong vs Dynamite Kansai

Loss

• 3 months later...

I watched this show today and having not really being a fan of their series, I was amazed by how much I enjoyed this. It's by no means their "perfect" match, but it's certainly very good. Kandori/Kyoko from this show should've made the cut, too, it's of a similar (perhaps better) quality to Kong/Kansai. There's a few sloppy moments in that one but they seem to really merge together far better than you'd think given how disparate they generally are/were as workers.

Wow, this was spectacular. One of the best matches of the year. I can't tell you how many times I was sure we had seen the finish and the match continued. This made me want to see more matches between these two, as Kansai pushed Kong about as far as she could. The finishing stuff is incredibly dramatic with Kansai slowly getting to her feet after a few backhands from Kong, only to be knocked down again. I think Kansai may have come out of this match looking better in losing than she would have had she won. There's also some great leg work in this. Tremendous stuff, probably second only to Hokuto/Kandori so far for me in terms of women's matches.

This made me want to see more matches between these two

The main event of the first joshi show I've ever saw.

Heh, sort of similar experience for me. I'd seen a number of 1 off matches before then but the first actuall full shows I got were Big Egg & The Dream Slams (shocking I know) and Aja/Kansai from Big Egg immedialy made me want to track down all their other matches very soon after.

Both weren't in their prime yet

Curious what you would consider the prime years for both then?

Haven't seen a ton of pre 93 Kansai but Aja'd allready been one of the top wrestlers in the world for 2+ years by this point.

Wow, this was spectacular. One of the best matches of the year. I can't tell you how many times I was sure we had seen the finish and the match continued. This made me want to see more matches between these two, as Kansai pushed Kong about as far as she could.

Loss,

Have you seen the 8/95 match between the two. I watched a ton of Joshi back in the day and that match always stood out for me. I haven't watched either in years but I remember preferring the 95 match. These two always had great chemistry.

Elliott

Heh, sort of similar experience for me. I'd seen a number of 1 off matches before then but the first actuall full shows I got were Big Egg & The Dream Slams (shocking I know) and Aja/Kansai from Big Egg immedialy made me want to track down all their other matches very soon after.

First order of puroresu I made back in 1998 I think, to Mike Lorefice : Legacy of Queens, IWA King of Dethmatch, both Super J Cup, and probably something else I don't quite remember. Maybe some UWF-I or Best of Onita. Ah, those were the days.:)

Curious what you would consider the prime years for both then?

Haven't seen a ton of pre 93 Kansai but Aja'd allready been one of the top wrestlers in the world for 2+ years by this point.

I would say Aja was hitting her prime in 94-95, and Kansai was at her best probably from 96 up to 98 (I don't remember excatly when she got ill, but that was the end).

I like the 1995 match the best, but it really hits its highest marks as being the climax to the Aja-Dynamite matches. Dynamite was 0-3, evening losing on here "home show". Plus they took the leg selling to the next level.

John

• 2 years later...

A pretty fucking incredible war, that also plays off their exchanges in the multi-woman tag. This is probably the least joshi joshi match of these Yearbooks, as best I can remember. Very deliberate match built around ultra-stiff strikes, basic holds, and countermoves--essentially an AJPW main event at least until the knockout teases at the end. This is one of the strongest any losing wrestler has been put over in any match you'd care to name.

• 1 year later...

This was AJW's first visit to the hallowed grounds of Budokan Hall since the 70's. It was a super stacked interpromotional card, with Kyoko/Kandori and a 10 woman elimination match being the other highlights.

The first singles encounter between Aja and Dyno was a perfect way to conclude an outstanding show. There was lots of pride at stake as both were leaders of their respective promotions. The respect that they held for each other was a major theme. This produced plenty of intensity without boiling into anger. With two relative Heavyweights going at it they worked more of a traditional men's style world title bout. Starting off with a feeling out process and gradually working up to a crescendo. Each wore down their opponent with various holds and hard strikes. After laying the groundwork it then moved on towards an absolutely incredible stretch. It looked like Kansai really had it after the Splash Mountain, yet the champion barely survived. Aja responded with some brutal offence but the challenger would not die. In the end Kong absolutely flattened her with a picture perfect version of her finisher to get the job done. Both competitors came out looking so strong.

On the subject of Kansai's prime, her best years were 93-96. Certainly not 97 or 98. Kong was in her prime as well. Generally 94 is seen as her peak year.

• 4 months later...

What an awesome match. This never gets ahead of itself but yet delivers a wonderful story overall. The strong spots and testing early really lead to the payoff in the end in a great way. Kansai is shown to be an equal to Kong which is a task in of itself and that really developed a sense of peril that you are unaccustomed to since Kong extinguished Nakano the year earlier. The Splash Mountain nearfall in particular is one of the best ones I can ever recall seeing. Joshi has been awesome in 1993 but a lot of it has been high octane joshi that still tells a compelling story. It was rewarding and refreshing to see a big time joshi slugfest deliver. ****3/4

• 6 months later...

I think I tolerated the feeling out process in the Kong/Kansai 8/93 match more than I would have in the past. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I was able to step outside of that and see what they were aiming for. It helps that I was eating, drinking and listening to a Feelies album at the same time, and if I'm honest with myself my priorities at the time were probably eating, drinking, listening to the album and then watching the match, but the match was all right. Aja is never going to be a worker who appeals to me, but I like her in big match settings. This was their first singles match together and it showed with some moments of awkwardness, but it half delivered on what you'd want from Aja vs. Kansai and was pretty good for a first try.

• 8 months later...

This was a war of attrition, plain and simple. From the submission attempts in the first half to the big bombs in the second, both Aja and Dynamite not only wanted to score a victory, they wanted to establish dominance, one over the other.

A rarity for Aja: Even though she brought the trash can to ringside, she never used it. I don't believe there was any brawling outside the ring either; if there was ​any, it was only a brief sequence.

I have to give it to Dynamite for taking all those backfists in a row. She looked legitimately woozy in the postmatch, and it's not hard to figure out why; with someone as powerful as Aja, even worked punches have to feel like tons of bricks.

If this was the first match in the series, I can't wait to see what kind of wars the others will be. This was so different from most of the other joshi matches in the Yearbooks that it isn't funny. This pairing looks like it could give Aja-Bull a run for its money as joshi's feud of the decade.

• 4 months later...

Wonderful match. Saw their stuff in the Thunder Queen Battle that got me incredibly hyped to see this and it really didn't disappoint. The second half of this match is just pure greatness. They both take turns beating the shit out of each other and both women really sell the damage that the bombs they throw are taking. I liked how everything escalated to finally get the pinfall and you really did buy into the shifts in momentum down the line. Two of my favorite joshi performers for sure.

****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-25-AJW-Legacy of Queens] Aja Kong vs Dynamite Kansai
  • 2 years later...

That stardown before the bell. Aja Kong was like “Fuck your flowers!”. Incredible. 5 Stars? Oh I need to watch the match first. Okay. The match definitely lives up to its billing. Dynamite Kansai made herself a total threat and a worthy adversary for Aja Kong. Hitting brutal kicks to the face is one thing but being able to withstand a few urakens is what really proves her worth. The Splash Mountain Near fall was insane. I love the KO tease Kong has as well. Just a total badass moment. Incredible match. ****3/4