Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-28-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr & Misterioso & Volador vs Heavy Metal & Psicosis & Jerry Estrada

Loss

• 3 months later...

This is the best of the Rey/Psicosis trios matches of '93 for me. The edition of Misterioso and Volador specifically adds a lot to the match, because both guys have so many terrific spots and they gel well with everyone else. Psicosis and Estrada are a riot playing off of each other, and this match is ripe with heel miscommunication. Excellent match that deserves a full walk-through at some point.

• 2 years later...

Most wrestlers have the professionalism to get high either before the show or after their match. Jerry Estrada was out of his mind here. It wasn't a good match so towards the end I found myself just watching what he did next. Metal was bad as well. Psicosis looked impressive, but only having one rudo on his game doesn't cut it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, I was not feeling this at all. Estrada, as Zenjo noted, looked completely fucking wasted. Everything he did was either a complete no-sell or an absurd over-the-top bump, with seemingly no in-between. There was some good high-flying from the technicos, especially Volador's amazing Asai moonsault, but structurally this was pretty much a mess. Tirantes fucks over the technicos again in a clever finish, though you do wonder what the point is of the other referee in some of these cases.

• 1 year later...

This never got going for me. Estrada is someone I enjoy a good deal but I agree he was out of it here. The rey vs. Psic sequences were good of course but they didn't have anything else to really bring this thing to a good level. Tirantes finish doesn't help things. I expected a lot more given the talent in the ring. **3/4

• 1 year later...

I couldn't make a lick of sense out of this, but that's typical for me and trios matches. Some of the spots and dives looked good, but damned if I know what they were leading up to. I did ​notice that several blatant low blows weren't called, and I guess that's what Pete meant by a screwjob from the heel referee, but I wasn't invested in the match in the slightest, so I didn't care. Mostly, I was looking forward to my next match on the Portland set.

Cute move by the rudos going into the crowd to avoid the tecnicos' dives. I wonder why it wasn't tried more often.

Just to say something a little positive, Rey took a hell of a Bret Hart chest bump off of that triple whip to the buckle. If there were more moves like that and less pointless gymnastics, I might care more about the trios style.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-28-AAA] Rey Misterio Jr & Misterioso & Volador vs Heavy Metal & Psicosis & Jerry Estrada
  • 3 years later...

This was a pretty good trios match with the tecnicos winning the first fall and the rudos having to catch. We get some good Rey v Psicosis spots that would become famous worldwide in a few years. Nothing spectacular but it was awesome to see in context. One of the best moments of the match was Misterioso teasing a tope onto Heavy Metal, who cowered away on the outside before smacking Psicosis and Estrada on the apron. That was a cool spot. Volador had some great moves as well like his quebrada onto Heavy Metal. And his team work with Misterioso is always good. Tirantes had one of his signature moments, not counting the tecnicos pin but counting the pin after Estrada fouled Misterioso and pinned him. Boo. Speaking of Estrada; many people said that he looked out of it in this match (on drugs). I dunno about that but this wasn't one of his better performances. ***1/2

• 1 month later...

It was interesting seeing Rey and Psicosis on opposite sides but not pair off hardly at all. Heavy Metal is not as dynamic an opponent for Rey as Psicosis or Juvi although some of his stalling and preening is entertaining. Psicosis is great throughout this match, bumping big, laying in his offense when he can, building to the tecnicos' spots beautifully. Correcting a few missteps along the way as well. But on a whole this was a pretty forgettable trios.