Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-30-WWF-Summerslam] Music Video: Lex Luger

Loss

• 3 months later...

Why they would give him this degree of push and not give him the title to go with it is beyond me. A well-produced video hyping up Luger as a big deal, but it was all for naught since they wouldn't go all the way. This is a terrible song by the way.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this may be the same guy who sang the Randy/Liz "Together" song. Yet more desperate phoniness on the part of the WWF. It wasn't enough that the Narcissist got whitewashed from history, now Luger doing yet another chokejob gets glossed over, too. Hope you continue spiking attendance by working non-title matches with Ludvig Borga, Lex.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

This was shown after​ the SummerSlam match? I thought it was weird that match clips of Luger-Yoko were included when they supposedly hadn't faced off in a match yet.

Count me as another one who doesn't understand why Vince pushed Luger to the extent he did if they knew in advance that he wasn't getting the title. It was such a waste of resources that could have been used to push Bret. (I was going to list some other guys who could have gotten this push if it wasn't for Luger, but there weren't any others except for Taker, who was up next.) I get that the "Real American" push had worked for Hogan, but that was because he squashed Sheik like a bug when the moment of truth came.

I've read a thread over at Kayfabe Memories which suggested that Hogan should have chased Sheik NWA-style for six months to a year before finally winning the belt, and I'm here to say that if that had been the plan, he'd have homesteaded in Japan by the summer, because the fans would have turned on him like they turned on Luger after this. Under the circumstances, Yoko had ​to lose the title here, even against Vince's so-called better judgement. This video would have been the fitting cap on a Luger title win, sappy as it was. After what ended up happening, it was just another symbol of Vince's total disregard for what his fans wanted, especially after he ​was the one who told them they wanted Luger instead of Bret or Savage in the first place.

The main vocals of "Together" were done by a female, although I seem to remember a male singer in there somewhere too. It sounded a lot like Michael Bolton, but Vince probably didn't have the money to pay a big star like him by now.

Were the kids on the bus Luger's own? I know they showed a lot of kids in the video, but I doubt they would have let strange kids actually travel on the bus. That was a cool way for them to see America if nothing else.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-30-WWF-Summerslam] Music Video: Lex Luger
  • 7 months later...

It's 1993.  Lex Luger has a mullet.  This song is straight rip from the Karate Kid era of the mid-80's.  When I think of 1993, mullets are gone and you have Nirvana, Pearl Jam & Radiohead... (I'm thinking of fashion changes and music)... They didn't put the title on Lex, but they are putting all this effort into this...  I just don't know what they were thinking with any of this at all.  This was pretty out of touch with the times (at least from my perspective).  I know mullets are common in wrestling, so it's not just that ha - It's just a dated combination of things I think.  I wasn't watching at this point in 1993, and I probably would have thought then what I think now...well, I think it's pretty funny...  Also, just to note, I've loved the Lex push up to the events of Summerslam...