[1993-09-18-SMW-TV] Robert Gibson vs Jimmy Del Ray

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Prichard gets up on the apron to complain about a ‘slow’ count from Mark Curtis allowing Morton to get in the ring and the Rock & Rolls hit Del Ray with the double dropkick and Gibson becomes the new Beat the Champ TV champion. Jim Cornette is fuming on commentary saying it was 2 on 1, that’s his $1,000 and has Dutch Mantel backing him up saying how they’ve robbed him.

• 9 months later...

We haven's seen the Beat the Champ belt in a while, so it was nice to see it here, even if it's just as an excuse for the latest round of Rock 'n' Roll-Bodies.

I could have stood for a bit of a longer match and not quite so much fawning from Dutch toward Corny. I'm guessing that Bob Caudle has somehow been disposed of for the moment, which is a shame because I'd love to hear him lambaste Corny just for the hell of it.

The finish was pretty clever at that, but it doesn't do much to establish Robert as singles champion material, even for the five weeks he can ostensibly hold the belt. Of course, with Corny as Commissioner I'm guessing that his reign will be a hell of a lot shorter.

I'd actually like to see Dutch try to referee, or anybody that's not Brian Hildebrand for that matter. Not that Brian isn't a great ref, but it's ridiculous that one ref gets ninety percent of the work, if not more. Surely Corny can afford at least one more referee, even with a limited budget.

Double secret probation plus official demerits? Gee, those Harris Twins have been naughty, naughty, naughty!

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-18-SMW-TV] Robert Gibson vs Jimmy Del Ray