Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-18-ECW-Ultra Clash] Stan Hansen & Terry Funk vs Abdullah the Butcher & Kevin Sullivan (Texas Tornado Bunkhouse)

Loss

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I thought Gilbert was suppose to be in this match. Sullivan is no match for Hansen. Sullivan ends up using a hammer on Funk. Very ECW type brawl. I'm not advocating guys getting hit in the head with the chair unprotected but I do not like Butcher always gets his arm up to deflect blow. Smart for his own health but a shot to that back would be more effective.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Gilbert walk out already? Great fuckin' payoff to the King of Philadelphia shit. Kevin Sullivan is in, and this is about what you'd expect. Not bad, but not something that really ages that well and really not anywhere near as chaotic as the 3-way Smoky Mountain brawl. Oh shit, Gilbert runs in with a chair! I don't know if he's legit injured or what, but hey, they got me. Having a Texas Tornado Match end in a disqualification is pretty fucking lame, though. Kevin turns on Abdullah, because why not? The post-match is actually better than the match itself.

Take a drink every time Joey uses anaphora in his commentary: "This is ridiculous! This is wild!" "Somebody call the paramedics! Somebody call 911!" "...as is Terry Funk! As is Kevin Sullivan!" Your liver will want to kill you.

• 1 year later...

Good brawl but Abby is someone that by this point looked like an old man not really able to do much of anything and not someone with a scary presence he had in his earlier days. I guess this is the ECW arena? When did it change it's look as the walls look different with the sheetrock here. Styles again screams to no end. You can't do that in every match and make it have any impact. Gilbert running in was nice since this is right around the turmoil of him vs. Paul E. **1/2

• 1 year later...

Yeah, Eddie was originally supposed to be Abby's partner here. This is when Paul E was named booker. Eddie thought that his best buddy Paul snaked the thing out from under him and I dont think they ever hashed that out. Eddie also stated that he'd quit when he'd heard that Jim Crockett was going to be involved. Doug was there to do that Scaffold Match and, sometime during the night, took a baseball bat to the backstage in a fit of anger over the whole deal. Eddie also, to the surprise of everyone, grabbed the house mic and said some line about not agreeing to a new contract, please continue to support this, Philly fans are great, yada yada.

• 1 month later...

It's always fun to see four guys like this trying to kill each other and everyone else they can get their hands on, but as a wrestling story, this stank.

First of all, not only was Eddie scheduled to be on the card, Mr. Styles, but he was scheduled to be Abby's partner ​in this very match. ​I'm not sure if anybody bothered to tell Joey that or not, though knowing this outfit I seriously doubt it. But if he's off the card, what the hell's he doing making an unannounced run-in? It wouldn't have taken much time to explain that Eddie found someone, namely Sully, to be Abby's partner so he wouldn't have to soil his hands on a couple of Texas rednecks like Stan and Terry. But not only does Heyman (at least I'm assuming it's Heyman by now) not do that, he violates the entire spirit of the match by turning Eddie's run-in into a DQ finish. In a bunkhouse match​? After all four guys had used a chair the same way Eddie did, plus Sully using the bell hammer and Abby his fork? Joey tries to cover for it, but I'm not buying. No rules means no rules.

Of course, we all know the real ​reason this ended the way it did: not one of these four guys wanted to do a clean job. That may be why Eddie backed out too, at least partially. But if that's the case, have another match, or book this one differently so the clear-cut loser still loses on a fluke or due to something beyond his control. Have a blood stoppage on someone, for heaven's sake; it's not like any of these guys are scared to bleed.

Joey was a little better here, but not much. He still whined about his suit (why would someone who's going to call a wrestling card wear an Armani suit to the matches, anyway?) But he got in a few clever lines, most notably one about Abby not being called The Butcher because he sells pork chops for a living. (Actually, he does, ​albeit with barbecue sauce on them, which Joey may or may not have known at the time. Regardless, it was a good line.)

Interesting story about how Eddie left ECW. I wouldn't have thought that he'd be that kindly disposed toward the promotion or its fans, but putting them all over on the way out was a classy thing to do.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-18-ECW-Ultra Clash] Stan Hansen & Terry Funk vs Abdullah the Butcher & Kevin Sullivan (Texas Tornado Bunkhouse)