Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-18-ECW-Ultra Clash] Crash the Terminator & Miguel Perez Jr vs The Headhunters

Loss

• 3 months later...

Straight out of W*ING. Always been a huge Head Hunters fan. Two obese puerto-rican twins going for your blood and doing moonsaults of the top rope work for me. Crash is of course a young Bill Demott. It's just a big brawl like it would happen in Korakuen Hall, and really took the violence up a notch from what was seen in ECW until then. Tons of blood and chaos. Miguelito Perez doesn't take a bump from the scaffold, which is too bad I guess, this guy was great at working scaffolds. It's old-school, it looks more brutal than it actually is and conveys an aura of true chaos. Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Why did anyone ever like Joey Styles? He's more preoccupied with being clever than calling the match. He also repeated the line about messing up his suit at least 3 times. Anyway, not really my thing, but a fun, crazy brawl, and you can see how considering how much more the crowd was into stuff like this than traditional indy stuff, they got the inspiration for what ECW would become.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't think the baseball bat was gimmicked. Crash hits the steel ring post twice and sounds like solid wood to me. So the baseball shots looked really wicked. Someone goes through a wall. Miguel Perez misses completely on a springboard moonsault. Fat guy moonsault by Headhunter! Entertaining stuff with the use of the baseball bat.

• 2 weeks later...

The Headhuntahs against Miguel Perez, Juniah and Crash tha Terminatah. Total Japan hardcore set-up, as both teams start from opposite ends of the building and run to the center to get baseball bats. Clever start to have Crash slam the baseball bat against the ringposts, letting everyone know that it's an honest-to-God bat. Chaotic brawl that ends up back in the ring, and dammit, I liked this quite a bit. The Headhunters are always fun, at least in small doses, with their big fat man bumping and high-flying, and there's even some good offense on display here in addition to all the weapons shots. Crash misses a moonsault and one of the Headhunters lands one of his own to retain the W*ING tag titles.

I KNOW he gets better...he has to. But as it is now, I'm rooting for Joey Styles to die in a car fire. His commentary consists of about 6 lines repeated over and over again, spiced up with various lame puns and pop culture references that are weaved in with the subtlety of a flying hammer. ALL AT THE SAME CONSTANT SHOUTING VOLUME.

• 1 year later...

We miss some key spots like the Headhunters going through the wall. Styles is concerned about his Armani suit even though they are a 100 feet away when he wails it on commentary. Another match that was good but I didn't really get a visceral hate or chaotic feel that happens in some brawls to elevate them up. This was a collection of spots and wicked shots that was effective but yet left me hollow. **3/4

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I might have liked this match better if someone had told me why these four guys were beating each other to death with ball bats. That's one of the troubles with showing hardcore matches like this with no context; why should I care if these idiots want to go through walls and jump off scaffolds for no good reason?

I'm not really a fan of the hardcore style; Will's ECW set may be the only one I've ever actually regretted buying. But even so, I was able to understand at least some of the wrestlers and feuds because Will did such a great job in documenting how those wrestlers and feuds came to be what they were. Take that away and you have four fat jerks pounding each other while a young Joey Styles sings "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and cries for his suit. In other words, the type of stuff I rolled my eyes at and shook my head over when anyone mentioned the wrestling business after about the middle of 1991.

Maybe the bunkhouse match will connect with me better since I've seen the buildup and know the workers. At least I ​hope so.

​Typical ECW to forget the barbed wire needed for a barbed wire bat match. From all I've seen and heard, the miracle wasn't that ECW managed to make itself into a mainstream promotion by the end of its run; the miracle was that it survived almost ten years in the first place.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-18-ECW-Ultra Clash] Crash the Terminator & Miguel Perez Jr vs The Headhunters