Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-24-AAA-Sin Limite] Villano III vs Rambo (Mask vs Hair)

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Villano III's valet dressed as the Pink Panther sets the bar for all this immediately very high. Villano gets his mask torn up right away. That second fall was way too quick. I wish Rambo would at least show some struggle in trying to kick out of the pinfall since he had not been weakened at all. The blood is flowing in the third fall. Looks like it is pouring right into Rambo's right eye too! I do not know how he is hitting those high risk moves when he probably can barely see. Third fall was pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Rambo does one of the all-time great "loss of blood" sells you'll ever see, assuming he was selling at all. Such a great traditional face/heel dynamic, with Tirantes making his presence known without smothering the match. Another incredibly clever ending, something right out of the United States but fresh in this setting, as Rambo does an Iceman Parsons butt-bump but misses and nails Tirantes. He takes advantage by fouling Villano and locking in a submission, as Tirantes crawls back in and calls for the bell. The arena goes DEAD SILENT when that happens--like Bruno-losing-to-Ivan-Koloff levels of shock. Then the SWERVE as Tirantes called for the bell because he disqualified Rambo for hitting him! Great, cunning use of a quasi-Dusty Finish.

• 1 year later...

Awesome apuestas match. Rambo dominates the first fall, Villano gets the quick pin in the second and the third is full of dramatic greatness. Both of the blade jobs here really added to the drama and we had some amazing near falls. The post match was also fun and the finish was clever. Villano III really excels in the big matches we have of his on tape. ****1/4

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Matches like this are what keep me from giving up on lucha completely. Lots of blood, lots of dramatic nearfalls (particularly in the third fall), and one hell of an ending that leaves the door open for rematches if the promoters so desire.

If I remember correctly, Tirantres is a heel ref, so him disqualifying Rambo (who was supposed to be the heel according to the announcers) for something so relatively minor was a surprise, especially since it looked like an accidental bump on Rambo's part. Of course, he later fouled Villano when both of them were on the top rope, and that would have been a DQ if Tirantes had seen it (at least I would think so).

I loved Villano armdragging Rambo off the top rope, then doing it again later in the match and flinging him all the way to the outside. Let's see Ricky Steamboat try and top that!

I know enough Spanish to recognize "pink panther" when I hear it, and regardless of what he may have looked like I doubt that was what Villano's second was going for. What he was ​going for I honestly couldn't tell you.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-24-AAA-Sin Limite] Villano III vs Rambo (Mask vs Hair)