Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-25-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vince's tape didn't arrive, to the delight of Dave Brown and the studio audience. Lawler sticks up for local business (FedEx) and says it's because he's regained the Unified World title. Lawler issues another challenge to Vince to appear in Memphis, which sadly never comes about. Actually what I'd kill (or at least maim) to see is Vince in the WMC studio, interacting with Dave.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Call me cynical, but I doubt there was ever supposed to be a promo from Vince in the first place, at least not this week.

Lawler does a fine job talking up his recapturing of the Unified title, but I'm with Soup. We all know that this angle was aborted when Lawler got into his legal trouble a month or so down the road, but what was the endgame supposed to be on the Memphis side anyway? I'm assuming that Bret was going to face Lawler at Mania X to close it out in the WWF, but was Vince just going to keep sending random wrestlers to Memphis until the angle didn't draw anymore? I highly doubt that we'd have seen Vince wrestle, or even do active managing, so what else was left?

My personal blowoff would have been Lawler-Yoko, with Lawler winning the WWF World title in front of a sellout MSC crowd sometime early in '94. They could acknowledge the change or not in the WWF as they chose, but Lawler would have held the title for a couple of weeks and defended it around the Memphis loop, then lost it back to Yoko so Vince could hype whatever the title match would have been for Mania X.

The problem with fantasy booking this is that so many different things happened with Lawler nowhere near the mix. Bret-Owen was the best match on the Mania card, so what happens to that if Bret wrestles Lawler? Do we get the two title matches? Do they have Luger win the Rumble outright and take his once-and-for-all, this-is-it-and-we're-not-kidding-this-time, shot at Yoko? It would have been such a different card, and that's not even taking into account a quickie Lawler title reign, even if it was only recognized in the USWA.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-25-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler