Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-25-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Jerry talks up the success of the 3-0 Cleveland Browns. They would end up jobbing out and finish the season 7-9. With a couple seasons later head off to Baltimore to become the Ravens. Big heel turn there by owner Art Modell. The coach of the Browns at this time was Bill Belichick who would be come to top manager at the New England Patriots. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry talks up the success of the 3-0 Cleveland Browns. They would end up jobbing out and finish the season 7-9. With a couple seasons later head off to Baltimore to become the Ravens. Big heel turn there by owner Art Modell. The coach of the Browns at this time was Bill Belichick who would be come to top manager at the New England Patriots. :)

Oh, fuck off (said the Browns fan).

Lawler does his standard church-bulletin promo, talking about Ole Miss and Browns football in the midst of plugging spot shows. Do the Titans come close to fulfilling Lawler's wish of an NFL team in Memphis?

Survivor Series highlights from the MSC, as Lawler pins Tatanka in a really weak-looking finish that nonetheless gets a huge pop.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

The Browns wouldn't be moving for three years yet, Soup. As for Pete's question of whether Lawler would have considered the Titans a Memphis team or not, I seem to remember reading that Lawler wanted to skip the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony a couple of years ago so he could go to Cleveland and watch the Indians' home opener, so I'm guessing his allegiance is still with the Cleveland teams, although I've never heard anything specific about him and the new (post-1999) Browns.

No one ever has or ever will do those small-town spot show promos like Lawler. He has a way of making every last one of them seem like the big show at the MSC. I wonder how the Memphis State football fans felt about an alumnus going to such lengths to put Ole Miss fans over, though.

The Tatanka pin was a bit weak, but they probably didn't want to beat him too decisively in case they needed to bring him back at some point, like they've already had to do with Curt and Savage. The important thing was that the King got his belt back. I loved his giving an "assist" to Tommy, who should probably have been his next challenger instead of a recycled Savage.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-25-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler