Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-09-25-SMW-TV] Robert Gibson vs Dirty White Boy

Loss

• 4 months later...

Last few minutes. DWB regains the TV title after assistance from the Bodies. Morton comes out to help his partner and gets beaten up too. Finally, Scott Armstrong runs the Bodies off with a chair. Gibson thinks Armstrong attacked Morton and shoves him. Trouble in the ranks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mantell and Les Thatcher doing obvious post-produced commentary. The Heavenly Bodies cost Gibson the TV title and beat up on Ricky Morton when he tries to save. Scott Armstrong runs the Bodies off with a chair, but all Gibson sees is Scott standing over Morton holding a chair!

Gibson comes off as heelish here, but I think the original plan was for the Armstrong boys to go heel and align with Cornette.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The Heavenly Bodies and Jim Cornette come out to ringside during the TV title match. Cornette distracts Mark Curtis and the Bodies pull down the top rope and Gibson takes a fall over it to the floor. They roll him back into the ring and the Dirty White Boy covers him to once again be the Beat the Champ TV title holder. Ricky Morton runs out and attacks the Bodies until he gets overwhelmed and beaten down. Scott Armstrong comes out with a chair and sees off the Bodies and goes to check on Morton. Gibson comes round, sees Scott over Ricky with a chair and shoves him, thinking that he’s the one who attacked him. Scott tells him that he didn’t do anything as the two of them continue to argue.

Trouble in the ranks indeed and the prospect about an Armstrong brothers heel turn is inviting, especially how much a revelation the brothers have been to me.

• 9 months later...

It seems to me that from a logic standpoint, it might have been better to turn Rock 'n' Roll based on what we saw here, but I'm honestly not sure if the fans would have stood for that. Turning Scott and Steve would have also turned up the whole Bullet Bob-Corny situation a few notches, since the boys would have almost surely gotten physical with their dad at some point. As good as that could have been, though, I think what we actually got (the Gangstas coming to SMW, which forces Corny to align with Rock 'n' Roll to drive them out, since the Bodies are gone) was better.

Dutch calling Ricky an egg-sucking dog was a bit of a surprise, since he's been much more neutral since the spring. Then again, he was probably sucking up to Corny, who was still commissioner when the match was taped.

This may be the first time we've heard Les Thatcher doing play-by-play on a match which aired as part of the regular SMW TV show. Hopefully it's not the last!

• GSR changed the title to [1993-09-25-SMW-TV] Robert Gibson vs Dirty White Boy