[1993-10-16-WWF-Superstars] 1-2-3 Kid vs Pat Tanaka

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Most of what I was going to say has already been taken. I wasn't sure why this match made the set until I saw Waltman's sunset flip to the floor. Vince had it right for once; what a maneuver! I thought Waltman's selling of the aftereffects was excellent, although I'm not sure if it was all selling.

Tanaka never looked this good as a member of the Orient Express, or as a member of Badd Company for that matter. Interesting that he still has a loose association with Fuji and Yoko; Vince could have done more with that if he'd chosen, at least to the extent or using him (and some others) for more exciting TV matches.

Pat's bump off of Waltman's clothesline was the second best bump of the bout. Not bad for a guy who I'd assumed had left the business two plus years before.

Lawler and his rent-a-jokes were a total pain in the ass here. Even Heenan and Jesse get into an exciting match as it's going on, regardless of their supposed feelings about the performers. This kind of attitude was slightly more tolerable in Memphis because he is who he is there, face/heel dynamics aside. Here, it smacks of legitimately crapping on a product he doesn't want to be associated with, whether that's actually true or not. It certainly doesn't help get himself or anything he's associated with over.

Is it just me or was Vince trying to make it sound at one point like Waltman beat Lawler to launch his WWF career instead of Hall? He made a reference to Lawler hearing the "1-2-3" chant many times before, which makes no sense whatsoever unless that's what he was trying to imply. Does he really think that the fans can't remember what happened five months ago? ​I know Hall's supposed to be a face who can do no more wrong now or forever, amen, but going this far to rewrite history is too much even for him. What's next, did Savage win the World title on January 23, 1984?

Was Vince's announcement of the fundraiser at the start meant for local consumption only? It sounded like he was making that announcement for the national audience as well, and I have no idea why on earth he would do that. If it was meant to be just a local promo, he should have had Howard Finkel do it like he did for so many years.

Nice to hear Lord Alfred saying "Promotional consideration paid for by the following". At least one vestige of the WWF I grew up with is left, thank heaven.

• 3 months later...

Fun and energetic match that would have been a nice change of pace compared to the squash heavy or WWF heavy tag affairs that WWF Superstars has offered this year. Pat Tanaka is always someone that gets a lot of hype and while I think that sometimes is based off the way he does shine when presented an opportunity and wouldn't be sustainable long term, he does work really well here as a base for Kid and reigning him in when need be. **1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1993-10-16-WWF-Superstars] 1-2-3 Kid vs Pat Tanaka