Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-10-30-SMW-TV] Dirty White Boy vs Brian Lee

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Rarely will watching wrestling make me say "Holy shit," but this did it for me. Ron Wright getting out of the chair to make the save was awesome, as was DWB crying over Wright. Great babyface turn right here. Considering they portrayed both of these guys as the most vile, evil men alive not even four months prior, this was a helluva job making both seem sympathetic.

• 8 months later...

Rarely will watching wrestling make me say "Holy shit," but this did it for me. Ron Wright getting out of the chair to make the save was awesome, as was DWB crying over Wright. Great babyface turn right here. Considering they portrayed both of these guys as the most vile, evil men alive not even four months prior, this was a helluva job making both seem sympathetic.

Word. Good match, great angle, great turn, Ron Wright getting to fight for DWB was an awesome moment, just like it was the only time he got up from that chair before.

• 1 year later...

Announcers bring up that the beat the champ championship started when DWB put a bounty out on Smothers. Ron Wright rises out of the chair! He gets a nice punch on Lee but Brian decks him. Then two big knees off the top rope. DWB is beside himself after as he holds on Wright. Really good way to turn those guys face.

• 3 weeks later...

Really good match leading to a great, great angle. Lee is on a roll, and this is a hell of a performance from the DWB as well, building up sympathy even before the big post-match. Wright gets in one awesome punch before inevitably going down, and the image of White Boy crawling over a fallen Wright with tears in his eyes is a powerful one. Part of what made this so effective was the DWB constantly treating Wright as a legitimate father figure--even when they were heels, the affection felt true and authentic.

• 2 years later...

The fans are already cheering the Dirty White Boy who runs to the ring and the fight is on. Great brawl to start with the White Boy in full control and the tide only changes when Lee pushes Ron Wright into him. The Dirty White Boy is busted open after he gets posted and Lee then goes to work on him. Fytch gives Primetime the loaded glove, Anthony ducks a punch and hits the Bucksnort Blaster. As Mark Curtis goes to count the pin, Fytch sprays something in the White Boy’s eyes for the DQ. Lee nails the White Boy with the glove, BUT RON WRIGHT GETS OUT HIS WHEELCHAIR AND INTO THE RING! He gets in one great looking punch on Lee before he too falls victim to the loaded glove. Lee comes off the top turnbuckle twice to Wright’s leg and spits on them both as he and Tammy laugh as they leave them both laying in the ring. The bloodied Dirty White Boy crawls over to Wright, cradles his head and is in tears over what just happened.

Very good match and an awesome angle. Considering how hated they were, they have done an incredible job in turning the Dirty White Boy and Ron Wright although a lot of credit does have to go to Brian Lee and Tammy Fytch.

• 10 months later...

Like the Memphis bout I just talked about, the story of this one wasn't the match; it was the relationship between Tony and Ron and the efforts of Brian and Tammy to destroy them both. From the time Brian pushed Ron's chair right into Tony to turn the match around, any shred of pretense about their motives went right out the window. That made Brian's postmatch attack on Ron disgusting, but hardly surprising.

Tammy laughing in the background seemed even worse than the beating Ron took; I can imagine some of the fans thinking that maybe, just maybe Ron had had some positive influence on a girl as young and still impressionable as Tammy, at least to the point where she wouldn't want to see him crippled for real. But such wasn't the case. If there was ever any doubt that Tammy was just plain no good and not some spoiled young kid who let her desires take her down the wrong path, it was erased here.

I loved seeing Tony cry over Ron. There's something noble about a bond between a wrestler and a manager that transcends heel/face lines, especially since it seldom happens. The dispute over the bounty probably would have been enough to turn Tony face eventually, but once the fans saw him fighting for his mentor, the turn stuck for good, even after Ron left the promotion. (If I'm not mistaken, Ron stepped aside when they brought Kim back to make her a featured player in Tony's unfortunately curtailed feud with Jake Roberts.)

Two minor quibbles that had nothing to do with the main storyline: First, why would the reigning SMW champion bother at all with the TV title? Couldn't they have made this an SMW title match instead? Second, why would Tammy deliberately get her man disqualified when he's got nothing to lose? His title's not on the line, after all. It wouldn't have made one whit of difference in the postmatch if Brian had been defending his title, and the finish would have been understandable, as Tammy would have been trying to save the title for Brian.

Dutch's talk about how too much momentum and fire can ultimately hurt a wrestler is the kind of insight that only a ring veteran can provide. He and Jesse are neck and neck for best color guy in the sport at this time, with the Dutchman's old pal Lawler such a distant fourth (behind Heenan) that it's not even funny.

I liked Dutch saying that he wished he'd had the power to cancel the match for Brian, but that was another thing that ultimately made no sense. Since when does the challenger​ in a Beat the Champ scenario have even the remotest say in who he wrestles? They should have been talking up how Tony had drawn Brian's name and was looking forward to paying him back for what had happened to Ron.

None of the problems I mentioned above could take away from the power of what we saw, though. With Bullet Bob still absent from the scene and the Bodies and Rock 'n' Roll busy elsewhere, this is the hottest angle currently in SMW, and also the freshest. I can't wait to see how it plays out over the rest of 1993.

Two minor quibbles that had nothing to do with the main storyline: First, why would the reigning SMW champion bother at all with the TV title? Couldn't they have made this an SMW title match instead?

I'm guessing it didn't make the Yearbook, but the opening segment of the TV show was Dutch Mantel drawing the name of the 'Beat the Champ' challenger out of a hat, like he did every week. Dutch pulls Brian Lee's name out and is then immediately confronted by Lee and Tammy Fytch saying what is he doing pulling Brian's name out of there? They say how he is the Heavyweight champion, doesn't need the match and doesn't need the money. Lee tells Dutch to cancel that, while Bob Caudle says that his name was drawn and those are the rules. 'Primetime' is still adamant that he's not going to face the Dirty White Boy, but there are no more segments involving them between the match, and I guess we just have to assume that 'the Board of Directors' told him that he had to wrestle that match as his name was drawn from the hat. You could of course argue what was his name doing in there in the first place, but that was the reason behind him being involved in the TV title match.

• 3 months later...

A really strong tv match. Lee and DWB work well together and the punches and ebb and flow was solid. The angle afterwards with Wright was incredible as they have built his wheelchair and mobility up so much that him getting up to save DWB was a great moment. Lee did good coming down with the bombs away on the knee. SMW is strong around this time even with the Bodies involved in a B feud. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1993-10-30-SMW-TV] Dirty White Boy vs Brian Lee