Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-10-30-WCW-Saturday Night] Hollywood Blonds

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, Pillman's heel turn and babyface turn both occur in anticlimactic fashion. This was ridiculously abrupt, but it was better than the initial heel turn because of a pretty decent promo from Col. Parker about racehorse metaphors, and a really cool double-team effort from him and Austin.

• 2 years later...

What the hell was that? Why rush a turn that could have been built over weeks or even months? There aren't too many worse fits in WCW than Boss Hogg and the Blonds, so why not exploit that? Have Austin bring Fuller into the mix over Pillman's objections, and have Fuller slowly start favoring Austin over Pillman, maybe making single matches for him instead of getting the Blonds title shots against the Nasties as Pillman assumed he would. Then, after about eight to ten weeks at the very least, you could do this exact turn note for note and it would make sense. As it is, why would Austin listen to and side with a relative Johnny-come-lately over someone who's been by his side faithfully for the last year and a half?

I didn't like Fuller's promo much either, but as you can tell from the nickname I gave him, I'm no fan of the whole Col. Parker gimmick, and I don't understand how it's not panned as thoroughly as some of the other ridiculous ideas that have come out of the Big Two to this point in the nineties. Yes, Fuller does the best he can with it, but that's nowhere near enough to make it actually enjoyable. To use a WWF analogy, this is my version of Sheepherders/Bushwhackers; most people can't understand how Vince could have "ruined" Luke and Butch, and I can't understand why someone in the WCW front office who knew Fuller's work didn't clue Bischoff in as to how good he was without a cheesy gimmick like this.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-10-30-WCW-Saturday Night] Hollywood Blonds