Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-11-13-USWA-TV] PG-13 vs Jeff Jarrett & Brian Christopher

Loss

• 4 months later...

Expiration of time! Fun match. You see lots of familiar PG-13 spots in their infancy, specifically Wolfie overly celebrating everything and then catching a quick superkick. This match is essentially wrestled like the opening 10 minutes where shine is put on the babyface for the entirety of the match, but there are quite a few good things happening in that regard.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

This bout is everything that's annoying about PG-13 in one package. You know they have talent, especially Jamie, but there's so much gaga surrounding them that it gets a bit tiresome to watch them. Most of that gaga is good clean wrestling fun, but every once in a while you wish they'd earn their celebration moments by at least hitting a move or two.

Of course, if you're a champion in a match like this, stalling and clowning is an effective strategy, because if you can outlast your opponents and hang on for a draw or get a fall thrown out, the belts remain with you. That's exactly what happens, as Brian goes nuts with the hubcap and gets the second fall thrown out, giving himself and Jeff the match one fall to none, but not the belts.

Jamie's clearly the engine that makes PG-13 go, and I thought he put a little extra into his segments with Brian. Even if it's not formally acknowledged, they ​know that they're carrying on the Lawler-Dundee feud, and while they have a long way to go to come close to their dads, they acquit themselves very well. Wolfie's only there to give Jamie a breather every now and then, and Jeff's only there to give Brian a rest. Midget D I can't really explain; he sits in the corner, watches the belts, and shines the hubcap, which was used too often here. I understand using it to end one fall or the other, but not both.

Personally, I liked the first fall ending better than the second, if only because the second fall ending made Brian look foolish. You've had them on the run from start to finish, you're this close to either getting the belts or becoming top contenders for them, and you just have to start waffling everyone in sight with that dumb hubcap? Hasn't your dad taught you better? (By the way, I'm honestly not sure who the champions are here, come to think of it. I seem to recall the belts being in PG-13's corner, but given their reputation that doesn't necessarily mean that they're the champions.)

I liked the start of the match, where Brian walks over to the interview area and slams PG-13's heads together, and the spot where he throws Midget D on top of Wolfie. I could imagine a young Kingfish doing similar stuff if he'd been a babyface, and at least one of those (the heads being banged together at the interview table) had probably happened to him as a heel back in the day.

Dave and Corey were subpar here. I know we're all supposed to be annoyed with PG-13's antics, but couldn't someone have mentioned at least once that they might have been employing sound strategy to make sure that they left with the belts? Also, Corey calling both a reverse chinlock and a sleeperhold a facelock is one thing; we know he's an ignoramus. But Dave, of all people, doing the same thing? Good grief, Lance, hurry home before the program you built goes further down the tubes than it already has!

I can't wait for the handicap match later this month, if only because it'll be a treat to see Jeff actually act like a heel in Memphis.

• 2 months later...

Really nice to see this long a tv match in Memphis studio and they reward us by having a fun match with a lot of southern tropes being utilized. I liked how we saw a ton of action but I wouldn't have felt cheated if I was going to the house show circuit either if this is what the viewer got on TV. The match had to be just good enough for the live customers to continue to come out. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1993-11-13-USWA-TV] PG-13 vs Jeff Jarrett & Brian Christopher