Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-11-13-SMW-TV] Dirty White Boy vs Brian Lee

Loss

• 4 months later...

Brian Lee comes out in a sling and Tammy says he won't be able to defend the title. DWB quickly hits him anyway and ends up spanking Tammy before they both start choking each other with a towel. Finally, Tammy hits DWB with a loaded purse and they are doing a number on him. Tracy Smothers is doing commentary at ringside and can't bring himself to come to DWB's defense given their history. Finally, Dirty White Girl comes out and makes a beeline for Tammy and eventually things calm down. This could have been really hokey in the wrong hands, but everyone involved really executed this in a way where it looked great.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good angle, well-executed by everyone involved. Smothers walks off from the commentary booth rather than get involved, because he doesn't like either guy! Storyline continuity, I love it! It's not like it's that complicated--Cornette wasn't booking anything that a dirt-poor East Tennessee redneck couldn't comprehend, so I don't get why the Big Two generally tended to shy away from it.

• 2 years later...

Lee comes out with his arm in a sling and Fytch says that Brian had an accident the other day and shattered his wrist into a million pieces. They have had x-rays, his arm is in a sling and doesn’t think he will be able to defend the title for another six to eight months. The Dirty White Boy tells her if she doesn’t think he’ll hit a cripple she’s wrong and then slugs Lee to get the match underway. Some brass knux fall out of the sling and the White Boy nails Lee with them. Fytch goes to spray something in his face but he grabs her arm and she ends up spraying Mark Curtis in the face instead and he takes a tumble out of the ring in a rather contrived spot. The White Boy starts to spank her but Lee makes the save and the two of them continue to fight until he knocks Anthony out with Tammy’s loaded handbag. Fytch starts slapping and choking him when out from the back comes the Dirty White Girl who takes a running dive at Tammy and tackles her. Lee rescues his manager and goes after the White Girl until the White Boy saves her from him.

• 10 months later...

This really wasn't a match, but they don't make angles too much hotter than this anywhere. Everyone was tremendous, both inside the ring and out.

Something tells me that if Kim hadn't been scheduled to come down, Tracy would have swallowed his pride and helped Tony, at least to clear Brian and Tammy out of the ring. They wouldn't have shaken hands or anything, but he'd have at least done that much. That said, it was better for the storyline that he didn't. His ambivalence sounded genuine, and who could blame him, since everyone in the angle but Kim had tried to cripple him at some point (and you can bet she would have if she'd been around)?

If I remember Will's SMW set correctly, Kim became the main presence in Tony's corner for a time, at least through the end of the year. Ron came back in early '94 to do an angle with Corny where they got in the ring a few times, and Ron looked good for his age. Could he have needed surgery for real around this time, which would explain why Kim returned?

I noticed that Dutch went along with Tracy when Tracy called Tammy "Tammy Witch". Even though it wouldn't become a major part of the angle, I got the feeling that Dutch disapproved of what Brian and Tammy did to Ron, and thus wasn't as friendly toward them as he was toward the other heels. If that's true, it's a nice change of pace from the Big Two, where if you're a commentator you're automatically supposed to support everyone else who's on your side of the fence no matter what. Dutch is the right guy to pull it off too, since he's always been portrayed as an independent thinker in SMW in spite of generally leaning heel.

The only thing wrong with Tammy is that her voice has a hard time cutting through a booing crowd, which isn't her fault. I'd suggest that Brian take the mic first when she's going to talk and tell the crowd to shut up, but that would only make it worse. She'll be fine as long as she keeps swinging that purse and spraying innocent referees in the face.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-11-13-SMW-TV] Dirty White Boy vs Brian Lee