Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-11-16-ECW-TV] Interview: Terry Funk

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Funk tells Joey Styles to shut up and then chokes him out with a string. Interview of the Week! Interview of the Year! INTERVIEW OF THE DECADE!

Styles abuse aside, this is legitimately one of the great promos of the year--Funk is just spine-chilling, treating Styles as if he's Paul E. and coming off as a psychotic, evil bastard while also subtly building fan support at the same time. ECW is solidifying as a promotion made up almost entirely of heels, just some heels with popularity and some without.

King Kong Bundy was in ECW??! How was I never aware of this?

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure about promo of the decade, but this blows Hawk and Neidhart's crapfest out of the water for sure.

The thing is, we veterans of watching wrestling have seen Terry go off before, but ECW fans hadn't yet. He'd played the almost-humble babyface throughout the Gilbert feud, mixed in with a taste of his comedic side. He'd only recently turned on JT Smith, which was his first overtly heelish act in ECW. So this promo almost certainly had extra impact on those ECW fans who weren't familiar with psycho Funk yet. Even if they knew that he'd piledriven Flair on a table and tried to smother him with a plastic bag, at least Flair was a wrestler, not an innocent broadcaster like Joey.

Speaking of whom, even if he knew that Terry wouldn't deliberately hurt him, he had to worry that Terry would get so into what he was saying that he'd forget to take it easy with the string. I know one thing: I wouldn't have been in his (Joey's) shoes for all the money that Heyman could forget to pay me!

I'm honestly not sure which match I want to see next in this feud. Maybe Terry could get Sabu, Bundy, Hawk, Neidhart, and Heyman all in the ring at once and have done with it.

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-11-16-ECW-TV] Interview: Terry Funk