Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-11-22-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels vignette

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was quite the labored angle to swap Shawn into this match on short notice, though I get the WWF didn't have much choice. Shawn actually acknowledges what happened to him the previous Survivor Series, before they enter Stu and Helen's house and are greeted by someone wearing a decrepit scary old lady mask. Shawn contrasts the size of Bret's poster with the size of Owen's--foreshadowing!

• 2 years later...

Other than the first seeds of the Bret-Owen feud being planted (and quite cleverly, I might add), this was an embarrassment.

I'm not sure what Vince should have done once he gave Lawler the boot, but Shawn trying to steal from Lawler's already older-than-dirt jokebook isn't something I wanted to see at all, and all of the heat for the whole thing is gone, since no one in the Hart family has believably screwed Shawn or taken anything from him. Maybe I would have just had the Knights (Barry Horowitz, Jeff Gaylord, and Greg Valentine, in case you didn't know) unmask and wrestle as themselves against Bret, Owen, and Bruce. That way you could still have the Bret-Owen tension and give the three guys who did absolutely nothing suspicious a payday while not appearing to condone what Lawler was accused of doing.

Bruce Prichard's a million times better as Brother Love than he was as Reo Rogers. After seeing this, I refuse to believe that Vince didn't resent Dusty for whatever reason. Akeem was bad enough, but at least George Gray didn't try to copy Dusty's accents and verbal tics. Between the lisp and the high pitch, I could barely even understand Prichard; if I hadn't caught a spare "baybuh" or two, I would have wondered just who the hell this twerp was and how Shawn had gotten hooked up with him.

Line of the Segment: Shawn, after seeing the "Home is where the (heart) is" embroidery on the wall: "I certainly hope so."

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-11-22-WWF-Raw] Shawn Michaels vignette