Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-11-26-AAA] El Satanico vs Pirata Morgan (Hair vs Hair)

Loss

• 4 months later...

Hell of a fight. Lots of blood, hate and selling, what's not to love? In the final fall, Satanico gets his knee worked over by Pirata and it's all great. I love Pirata proactively scooting across the ring in the figure four so Satanico can't reach the ropes. When Satanico mounts a bit of a comeback, he gets cut off by a low blow. The sunset flip battle is awesome too! Really hot final stretch full of some great false finishes. Feels more CMLL than AAA because of the match participants and style, and that's a good thing. Satanico finally secures the win with some type of standing figure four. Aside from Ultimo/Casas, the only lucha match on the set to really blow me away. MOTYC.

• 2 years later...

Now this here absolutely ruled with the Infernales doing to one another what they've done to so many others. This had all the blood and fire you'd want from a wager match. But as Loss alluded to, these guys took it to another level with the little touches -- Pirata worrying about his positioning on the figure four, Satanico slipping in kidney punches whenever he had an opening on the ground. Every moment felt like a struggle. One of the best lucha brawls of the decade.

• 3 months later...

That's definitely a AAA banner on the ring, but like Loss mentioned this was straight out of CMLL. Two guys I'd associate with that promotion and also the match style. Satan got the jump start and soon leaves his former teammate a bloody mess and one fall down. Both favours would be gladly returned in this gritty brawl. There was nothing fancy, just plenty of intensity and hatred. An old school wager match that I certainly enjoyed. However for it to reach higher levels for me it needs to have better action than this. It was a bit too stripped down and either needed some more power moves, dives or near falls. Maybe some matwork if they hadn't gone straight to the blood. Basically that something extra to bring the quality of the action closer to that of the psychology.

• 2 months later...

More violent than the Dandy/Charles Hair Match that was a few days earlier. I was getting annoyed in the second fall when they kept showing the crowd over and over. Was taking away from match. But we do see Jake Roberts sitting ringside and Cheryl Roberts too! Both guys get real bloody and deliver in this brawl.

• 4 weeks later...

Holy shit, I thought that was Cheryl.

Yeah, this is incredible--probably the lucha MOTY. Morgan in particular provides a great blend of brawling, mat work, and high flying and incorporates all three styles organically, depending on the situation, instead of coming off as haphazard. This is worked as heel vs. heel, and is a standout example of how that style of match can work. Great to see the standouts of the early '90s turning up again late in the game on this set.

• 3 years later...

What I liked best about this was each man's determination to make the other submit away his hair, willingly agree to have it shaved in order to spare themselves further pain. Considering how important hair is in Mexico, willingly giving it up as Pirata ended up doing had to have added to the humiliation factor significantly.

I disagree with Zenjo; this match didn't need anything else. It was the brawl it should have been from start to finish. I have no idea what caused the issue between these two, but it had to have been significant to touch off the bloody war we saw. Neither man asked nor gave quarter, and even in the postmatch Satanico had difficulty taking victory for an answer. Something tells me that we haven't seen the last of this feud.

Seeing Jake wasn't a shock, but seeing Cheryl sure was. I guess she was trying to stop him from drinking himself to death. I think she also traveled with him when he was in the WWF, and not just during the Rick Rude feud either.

Did the losing wrestler in a hair match have the choice of whether his head would be shaved in the ring or back in the locker room? It certainly looked like Pirata was discussing something with the barber right before he left the ring with most of his hair still on his head.

http://placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-50-1/

This is possibly my favorite discovery from this countdown so far (top 2 to 3 for sure). I had not seen this before, and I really loved it. Satanico is the man. His beatdown of Morgan to start this off got me fired up. Then, his incredible performance from savage offense to wonderful selling and dramatic facial expressions.... just great stuff. I actually loved how "stripped down" it was personally. Knowing they had a history ... I felt it got over the dislike of each other even more. ****3/4

• 2 months later...

What a gritty, beautiful brawl. Everything was grimy here and the hate jumped off the page. Satanico is a master at this in showing hate and patience all at the same time in a calculated and perverted manner. I liked how they kept the heel vs heel vibe throughout and it still was able to invest you as the viewer without even someone to really cheer for. Pretty easily my lucha MOTY. ****3/4

• GSR changed the title to [1993-11-26-AAA] El Satanico vs Pirata Morgan (Hair vs Hair)