Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-11-19-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo vs Heavy Metal

Loss

• 4 months later...

This match is feeling a little worn out by this point, but it's another worthy addition to the feud. The best match in the series remains the first. As a feud, this feels lacking because there is little continuity from one match to the next. But individually, each match ranges between very good and great.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

They should've stopped this feud after the second match. When wrestlers face each other multiple times in a short time period then the law of diminishing returns usually sets in. It's actually quite rare they would do this in Mexico, as singles bouts are generally well spread out. Flogging a good feud to death is more WWE booking. I preferred this to match #3 in the series but it never rose above solid level and the double pin was a wretched finish. It was more the level I might have expected from Metal in singles. He had a good reputation back in the day, but in my eyes Santo was carrying him to the 2 good matches they had.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is this the match listed on the disc as 12/5? No thread for that and I haven't posted in this one, so...

With this being a title match and the controversy involving interference in their previous bout, I was hoping for something worked more like a "traditional" lucha title bout, instead of Metal working Memphis heel shtick for a lot of this, begging off and asking for timeouts. There is some good work over the leg by both guys, but most of this is Metal simply covering up. On top of that, we get a LAME double-pin finish. I really don't need to see this feud continue--blow it the fuck off already.

• 3 years later...

I'm not sure what to think of this.

I didn't mind the stuff most of you did, but I agree that this was far from a great match. The individual elements were fine; I enjoy a good chickenshit heel if he does it right, and Metal did here, since it was established that del Santo was by far the better wrestler. The bout was a tad slow for being the third or fourth in a series, but not to the point of being overly boring. I thought they told a nice story of Metal not being able to outwrestle del Santo. The problem is, I thought they'd told that story before.

The double pin was another thing that wasn't terrible in and of itself; but they didn't try to generate much controversy with it. It was obvious from the time that Metal's shoulders hit the mat what they were going for, and they didn't really make out like it was all that big a deal from what I could tell.

One thing I loved unconditionally was del Santo's submission hold to win the first fall. I haven't seen a headscissors applied in quite that way before, and I had to catch the replay to see just how devastating it was. I'd have loved to see an American wrestler attempt it, although I can't quite figure out who at the moment.

Overall, this was a case of nice ingredients making a mediocre meal. I wouldn't mind seeing them go at it again, but if they do I hope that match is a lot more memorable than this one will be.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-11-19-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo vs Heavy Metal