Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-12-11-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Owen Hart

Loss

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Excellent interview by Owen. The right setting for this type of promo/interview. Owen was on a roll at Survivor Series until Bret got in his way. He is sick and tired of what Bret has done. He wants people to recognize his own achievements. Vince tries to show that Owen is living in the shadow of Bret. Owen challenges Bret to a match to see who is the best.

• 1 month later...

Owen skirts the line between being reasonable and being whiny and jealous, very effectively. He points out what he does better than Bret, and in a great little touch, points out that he eliminated 2 guys at Survivor Series, hence he was the one who carried the team the most. Then he criticizes Bret for not knowing where he was in the ring! Ha! "Bret is MY brother." Owen challenges Bret to a one-on-one match.

• 2 years later...

I wasn't aware that Owen had challenged Bret this soon. It seems at this point that they might have been thinking at least in passing about Bret-Owen at the Rumble, but that would have been a bit too soon.

We've heard almost all of this stuff from Owen before, but it's still very effective in stating his position. Vince is the star of this, though, appearing to be an impartial journalist but twisting the knife every time he opened his mouth right down to "You are ​Bret's brother". This is the Vince that those of us who'd seen the older WWF product liked and wish we could have seen more often. Even at this relatively late date, he didn't need to scream and puke to be effective, and it's a shame that he didn't realize that.

The other rather subtle touch I liked here was that of all the accomplishments Owen listed, none of them related to professional wrestling. I suppose he could have brought up his success in Stampede and Japan if Vince had allowed it, but it fits the story of the feud better that he didn't. Besides, no matter how much Owen may hate it, Bret's accomplishments in pro wrestling do ​dwarf his, and he is ​living in Bret's shadow, which of course is the whole point of the feud in a nutshell.

Can't wait to hear Bret's response!

• 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1993-12-11-WWF-Superstars] Interview: Owen Hart